Notices

Class of January 2012 Part 2

Old 01-13-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

I avoided those kinds of social situations too - my recovery was very important to me, and it was time well spent, I think, looking back.

I used a technique like this to help me with cravings, but you have to 'bed it in' and use it regularly...it may not be much use 'cold' in a social scenario unless you've practiced it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Made it to the end of the week without a drink. Feeling great!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Also checking in to say I made it through Friday without a drink. That makes 13 days. I really can't believe it. I just poured something else besides wine. Sounds easy, but it wasn't.

I'm planning on skiing over the weekend which has always involved drinking afterwards in the past. I just need to remember how good I feel right now and that if I drink all the guilt and shame will be back. Reading all of your posts has really helped me to stay focused on my goal of not drinking. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Awesome 2nd Thread.

Here I am on a Fri nite doing laundry, falling asleep watching tube and no drinking. Didn't drink last nite either and back to work tomorr.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Just wanted to shout out a "HANG IN THERE!" to all having difficulty over the weekend, and add a few (((hugs)))...Friday nights were always the nights I'd spend "rewarding" myself after the work week, and would wake up late and hungover on Saturday mornings> I do not miss that at all!!! Tonight I spent working out and enjoying a movie with my hubby. I missed alot of television the past couple of years,along with missing out on so many other things, choosing instead to spend my time zoning out with my booze. I now choose to start catching up on all I've been missing! I'm beginning to realize that life is a precious gift, and certainly way too short to miss out on all it has to offer...
I wish everyone a sober weekend!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

congrats to everyone-what a great group!
I will never drink again; wanttoheal's post about one drink leading to more drinks and them very bad things is spot on.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

KaPuka keep trying and don't give up! As far as the social situations go This time around I plan on avoiding the drinking scene for awhile. In the past though I found it helpful to have a soda or whatever already in my hand so if someone offered a drink I could say I already am drinking something.

I was in the worst mood ever today. Super tired which led to being very cranky. I came home raging pissed for no reason and thankfully am a little calmer now. I had to remind myself that mood swings are all part of me getting sober. Watching a little tv before sleeping and hoping for a more peaceful day tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
Welcome Strytone. Remember one thing about anxiety -- they are just thoughts. They can't hurt you. Whatever happened in the past is past, and you can't change things. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by worrying about what happened when you blacked out, so unless someone tells you something bad about it just try to force yourself to stop thinking about it. Every time the topic creeps into your mind, tell it firmly to go away, that you are not going to think about it - then deliberately think of something positive. (Yes, I have had anxiety - and beaten it - so I totally understand what is going on in your mind. You would be amazed at the negative scenarios I used to be able to come up with when I was caught in the anxiety.)
Thank you for this PurpleCat. My mind can be my worst enemy. Its definitely time I told it go away and look to the future. Its been going a bit crazy after work. Usually Id just numb it, not the case anymore. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

had a bad friday ... first off hurt my toe while jogging in the morning in my new pair of shoes (they aint as comfortable as the salesman had promissed ) so i know i will not be able to go for my jog for next coupla days till my toe heals...

next up had a bad day in office and fought with a co worker.. was feeling very low and was having thoughts of going and gettin a drink to relax and chill out ... but thankfully i had you guys and your support to get me back to realise that alcohol wont get me anywhere and wont solve my problems... read all the posts here on the jan part 2 thread and quite a few stories on "stories of recovery" thread and realised how much people have gone through to get sober and how they have regretted after having just that "one drink"

so here i am day no. 14 and goin strong!! im gonne be focused and always remember that its never about just that one drink.

thx u for all the support... SR rocks... have a gr8 weekend
Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 14 days hotchoc

D
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Smile

it's such a wonderful feeling to wake up on Saturday morning without a hangover and feeling good about the day ahead rather than wasting the day
Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi all , going to jump in here with you guys/gals start of day 2 !
Old 01-14-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome DarkDays

D
Old 01-14-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

day 14 today. this is my longest stretch without alcohol and I feel WAY more in control if things. honestly feel like I'm in control of my sobriety.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 14 days newleaves - thats great
I wouldn't let your guard down yet though - this really is a marathon, not a sprint

D
Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Day 9

Nothing new to report. I feel great on this glorious start to day nine. Keep strong, everyone.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Day 4. Was only able to get 3.5 hours of sleep last night. My brain would not stop! Also, awful stomach bowel issues. Not sure if wd or illness, but annoying nonetheless
Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
congratulations on 14 days newleaves - thats great
I wouldn't let your guard down yet though - this really is a marathon, not a sprint

D
Thanks so much for these words. Sarting day 14 feeling great, but it is Saturday and I will be with friends this evening who I would normally drink with. I have not gone this long with out an drink in many, many years!

I am going to remember that achieving sobriety is indeed a marathon. Stopping drinking is hard work. I am so glad I found this group of caring committed folks. You help me stay stong!!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Meow

Well. Friday the 13th lived up to its reputation. Nothing too dire, but just a kind of "if it can go wrong it will" kind of day. From the hour and a half commute due to snow in the morning to trying to get into a restaurant for dinner (we tried two places and didn't end up getting seated until almost 8:00 at the second one - I was starving!), it is a day I don't care to repeat.

Today I am starting an exercise class called circuits. Cardio and weight lifting. If I never post again it is because I am curled up in a fetal position, unable to move my muscles. lol

Congrats to all staying strong, and hugs to those still struggling. This is a good bunch of people here.

Welcome DarkDays! I will do the roll call tonight from the hotel. Son has an out of town bowling tournament early Sunday morning so the team is staying the night in that town. Assuming the check engine light that came on in my cr yesterday doesn't cause problems - yeah. Did I mention how Friday the 13th was a yucky day?

ETA - DarkDays, just read your thread. Really, really glad to have you with us. Hang in there! Hope your daughter is on the mend. (((hugs)))
Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Starting day 16 and weekend number three. Doing ok. Miss drinking sometimes (honesty) but never wake up a single morning and wished I had been drunk the night before. Stay with me guys and we can see an entire year that we remember every day. Wow, what a concept.