Notices

Orange Juice eliminates my alcohol cravings

Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Orange Juice eliminates my alcohol cravings

I realized in the hospital I was craving it and drinking it by the gallon each day. I have been drinking it every night for the past three weeks. Tonight I started craving a glass of wine and I had some orange juice instead and took my craving right away. Maybe its the sweetness but soda or any other fruit juice doesnt work only orange juice. Now I am craving orange juice lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was going to say it's likely sugar replacement...but then you say it's only oj that helps.

Whatever works, I say! Just keep the vodka out of it and I think you've found a great anodyne.

I've done largely the same thing with Arnold Palmers/Lemonade and Iced Tea and I'm happy to report it almost completely removes any craving. That said, I've also discovered that tea is a bigger diuretic than wine and I therefore no longer sleep through the night anymore.

But enough of my TMI

Good luck and God bless your new discovery!

D
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Whatever works lol. I cant stand Vodka and turns me into Linda Blair in the Exorcist so no trouble keeping that out of it.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnodyneShift View Post
I was going to say it's likely sugar replacement...but then you say it's only oj that helps.

Whatever works, I say! Just keep the vodka out of it and I think you've found a great anodyne.

I've done largely the same thing with Arnold Palmers/Lemonade and Iced Tea and I'm happy to report it almost completely removes any craving. That said, I've also discovered that tea is a bigger diuretic than wine and I therefore no longer sleep through the night anymore.

But enough of my TMI

Good luck and God bless your new discovery!

D
Good advice there, lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

If you ever had a bout with alcohol induced pancreatitis, you might want to make sure your insulin production is up to par -- i.e., that you have no signs of diabetes. There is more than one kind of diabetes, but excessive thirst, urination, and sometimes sugar cravings can be associated. Since you were in the hospital, my guess is that all that has been ruled out and you are fine. It's just that if anyone else is reading these threads that suddenly develops symptoms like these, it warrants a doctor checkup for this as well as anything else that could be out of whack.

FT
Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thanks not worried about that was given blood tests
Old 01-12-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I had a friend swear by this, when a craving hit, she ate a quarter of an apple. She said the act of chewing also helped with the craving.

OJ has the opposite effect on me, because I only ever drank it spiked.

Now that the weather is cool/cold I enjoy hot cocoa. The fact that I sort of have to go through a "ritual" to make it, I do it from scratch also helps me derail the craving, like it's an extra distraction.