Notices

xanax, bad idea?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

xanax, bad idea?

since coming off dexamphetamine tablets used to treat my add, ive had awful anxiety. ive always suffered from anxiety but the last year since i quit i've had panic attacks anywhere from once a week to twice a day. I started drinking a bucketload to calm myself down but recently a doctor prescribed me 1mg xanax. It's been sitting in my kitchen staring at me because im too scared to take it as i dont want to risk an addiction. All over the internet i get very mixed reviews, some people swear by it and others say its highly addictive and best avoided. Does anyone have experience with it they can share?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is highly addictive and should be avoided. It will create more problems than it will solve. See the drug addiction message board.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have taken it, with a bad reaction. I took it to reduce my anxiety but it only increased it. My advice: try it, if side effects, ask your doctor for Endep.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

It baffles me that doctors will prescribe highly addictive benzos to those of us with addiction problems. While I was hospitalized I was given ativan for the first few days and then was taken off it bc they would not have discharged me while on it bc its highly addictive.

There are other anti anxiety meds to take that are non addictive you could ask your Doctor about. I am on Busbar which is an anti anxiety meds with minimal side effects which does take a few weeks to kick in. There are also other anti anxiety meds you can take when you feel anxiety coming on. I take atarax/visteril which are in the antihistamine family and arent addictive. Granted they dont have the same effect as Xanax but its not good to supplement something highly addictive for another.

If you believe you can take it once in awhile there should be no problem but if you are like me who would like the effect too much and take it daily Id talk to your Doctor about your concerns.

At my last psychatrist appt. my Dr. said he could prescribe me Klonopin, Ativan or Xanax for immediate anxiety but they are highly addictive. To be honest it was tempting but I told him I didnt want to become addicted to them and maybe if I have to go somewhere like the dentist which is very anxiety provoking he can prescribe me one or two as take when needed but I dont want to be carrying around a bottle of them.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay away from it. That's my advice.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I abused xanax for for quite awhile. Not saying you will, but if you have addictions problems like I do, then be very careful.

Had horrible insomnia, sweats, moments of being disconnected from my body, extreme irritability, anxiety, and depression.

If you haven't already, be up front with your doc about you alcohol consumption. They may be able to help you without the addictive meds.

God bless.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Geez...

You should be working with a physician and an addiction counselor. We don't know your case and this benzo stuff is nothing to fool around with, and advice on how to manage your panic attacks, and all that, is medical advice and you can't get that here.

Amphetamines, Benzos, Alcohol... Been there done that.... got the T shirt and the rehab bill... Get clean and sober... do it safely and responsibly... which I wonder about with you. No offense meant... but really... see a professional.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You really should be talking to your dr about this concern, since he prescribed xanax for you.

Personally, I have never taken it, but I have read so many horror stories here at SR that I never will.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk to your pharmacist and with your doctor to find a better plan, maybe?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes do see your Dr darthritis and explain your fears and concerns.

We can't, and shouldn't, be giving you med advice here.

D
Old 01-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
totfit

If one is going to take a benzo and needs one, I don't know why they don't prescribe them that have a longer half-life such as Valium. Those with a longer half-life seem much easier to do without and seem not to have as much of a rebound anxiety effect. I don't know, I am not a Dr., but it is best to take nothing unless you absolutely have to, but make a well informed decision on what to take if you do.