Notices

Day 1 not drinking

Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 not drinking

I am a 22 year old alcoholic college student, and been drinking for about 7 years. I pretty much get hammered every weekend, and stay sober through the week for the most part. When I drink I usually have 12-15 beers. Well, over the past 6 months or so, I've had withdrawals several times that usually last about 48 hours (insomnia, sweats, constant gagging, and gnarly anxiety that is by far the worst part. I think today is the worst I've had, though. I'm sick of this always happening, so I am gonna give up the booze for good this time, it's just not fun anymore. Last drink was about 24 hrs ago so I'm probably about half way through with the withdrawals. Well, I'm just looking for some support and maybe some pointers. Thanks guys!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Trillmatic, best of luck on your decision to quit. so you stayed sober for the most part during the week, i wonder if that means you had a couple a night to keep the withdrawal symtoms at bay? if so and you quit altogether, you might want to see a doc, he/she might be able to help you through the first week or so, to reduce the withdrawal. Then there's the part of finding something to do instead of drinking, I'm finding it hard to replace all the time spent drinking with something else since i spent so much time drinking, there's a lot to replace..
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks OCDDan! Yea I've gone through this before so that's the only reason I'm not completely trippin out about the anxiety I'm feeling. Hopefully I won't have to much of a problem occupying myself, just on the weekends when all my friends go out and get drunk. I'm gonna try working out all the time and maybe buy a couple video games to help out. This is the last time I'm going through withdrawals though, I'm not letting this happen again. I just hope I can fall asleep tonight haha.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

12 beers at 12 ounces each = 144 ounces divided by 24 is 6.
It will take 6 days to process that beer.... please see a doctor.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
crap, this should be fun haha
Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome trillmatic -
Congratulations on getting sober! I don't ever want to go through those first days again, either. It's great not to wake up with that horrid anxiety.

Keep reading and posting - lots of great people here!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome trillmatic! How I wish I'd done what you're doing. At 22 I still had 30+ years of drinking ahead of me. You'll never have to suffer the way many of us have. Congratulations on seeing the light.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome...keep it real...be true to yourself....
Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. So it's been just over 48 hours and I felt surprisingly good when I tried to go to bed like an hour ago. However, when I shut my eyes my mind just has about 50 random thoughts/images per second. If my eyes are open, I feel a little funny and anxious, but not 100% terrified anymore. I'm pretty sure I won't be sleeping again tonight. I am soo tired, haven't slept in 2 days, but I guess my brain has other plans.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sleep will come Trillmatic - stick with it

D
Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Been there, done that, got lots of Tshirts to prove it! I'm just now coming out of a period of insomnia (Day 14 here) and I can relate to the exhaustion. But I'll tell you what ... I'd rather wake up tired than hungover ANY day. Sounds like you are on the right path, trillmatic, don't give up. Proud of you.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pointers:

1. Instead of drinking beer, why not look for something more productive in your life as a college student?
2. Setting goals for you should a good part in changing and removing that alcoholic mind of your and the habit as well.
3. What does the every bottle of beer gives you or satisfy you?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm on day 11 and found litres and litres of water help as had a raging thirst. Energy drinks also good plus food, whatever food you want in the early days. Vitamins, esp B, will assist. Sleep will come eventually and will be really good restorative sleep. good luck
Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good Luck

Vitamins (especially Thiamin), Milk Thistle (repair liver) and Kudzu (stops cravings). I'm going through it too, but I've got 20 years more drinking experience than you, and too many detoxes to count. Let's make this one the last one.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Trill, hang in there and stick with it. Your body and mind will start to feel better with time. Your still very young, a whole lifetime ahead of you. Sobriety is a gift, I wish I would have picked it up at your age.

Let us know how you are doing as you go along.

God bless.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Trill, congrats on your decision to quit drinking. You could easily be saving yourself from many years of pain and suffering. I wish I had your insight at your age regarding my drug abuse. You can do this! We are all here for ya and behind you 110%. Keep us posted.

-Jess
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, good news guys! I finally fell asleep last night after about 4 hours of trying and failing, and then got a decent night sleep. I've been drinking tons of water and taking vitamins. This morning, I am happy to say that the withdrawal symptoms have pretty much stopped (still some lingering anxiety, but nothing big - thank god it only took 3 days and not longer). Now I'm on my way to recovery. Thanks for the support guys!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trillmatic707 View Post
Well, good news guys! I finally fell asleep last night after about 4 hours of trying and failing, and then got a decent night sleep. I've been drinking tons of water and taking vitamins. This morning, I am happy to say that the withdrawal symptoms have pretty much stopped (still some lingering anxiety, but nothing big - thank god it only took 3 days and not longer). Now I'm on my way to recovery. Thanks for the support guys!
I started to feel like a whole new person after the withdrawals stopped. It's an awesome feeling...congrats on 3 days!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember that what's worked for some of us may not work for, or even be suitable for others.

I think it's a good idea to check with your Dr before starting any supplements

D
Old 01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
One beer is technically one unit, so it would be 12 hours not 6 days; you don't process every ounce of a beer, just the alcohol content.