Notices

UK person..needs advice

Old 01-14-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i couldn't believe the amount of different beer and ale and ciders on offer last time i was home .
i grew up in england and i saw for myself how epidemic the drinking culture is.
as for your dr saying just cut back..well she dont know her arse from her elbow about alcoholics.
thats like saying to a person who over eats well just eat half the hamburger.
if your an alcoholic like me your only course is complete abstinence
Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

boo

So Foolsgold,

Hows it going mate?

I done a week off the sauce now, missing it but feeling better I guess.

I did try PM you but this system wants 5 public messages before it lets you private....

J
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Morning all. Quick update. As I can't get time off work to do the tablets I'm now cutting way back & so far so good. Last night had 2 beers which is a significant reduction from the bottle of wine + I've been drinking every night for way too long. Plan is to stop totally this week as I now feel more comfortable that I won't get nasty withdrawals. Going tonight to get my blood taken. Keep you posted & stay good. P
Old 01-17-2012, 02:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey foolsgold

Im from down south in Dublin and this site has been an amazing tool for me in recovery - only into my second week now and havent admitted to my GP the problem yet, although he suggested it to me ... I had a bowel infection in October which highlighted in my bloods that my gamma gt levels were escalated which apparently is a sign of heavy drinking / alcoholism - that sat in the back of my mind for few months but it was only jan 1st that I made a conscious decision to stop

Your bloods will probably show the same mine did - then your doctor will suggest steps to take to stop and return the levels to normal but after they do that .. the rest is up to you ... they cant force you to stop only you can do that.

I'm same as you - cant take time off work to detox so am doing it and working 5 day week - it is hard but it can be done.

Will be thinking of you, best of luck xxx
Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome
I foUnd my gp in the past was very helpful. I was refered to a clinic, although I did not attend as I was not ready at the time I know that she would be fully supportive if I wanted to go down the road again
I wish you a warm welcome here. This is a great site and very supportive ! .
.A.