Notices

Scary withdrawals for the first time. Can medication help?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scary withdrawals for the first time. Can medication help?

Hey there anyone who has the time to read this

i am a 28 year old woman, and have known for a while that I definitely have problem with alcohol. I drink alone and binge hard at times. I could always drink, and then not drink for a few days, then go back to drinking daily, but got a huge fright a few days ago when I started getting very definite alcohol withdrawal symptoms around lunch time after not drinking. Never had anxiety before, but started having heart palpitations, this really awkward feeling in my body, like I had to claw my nails into myself to distract myself from the weird feeling (never been a self harmer or anything), hands cold, numbness in my hands etc.

Really scared me!!!

I am a caucasian (just saying, as everyone assumes everyone from SA is black) South African living in Taiwan and have an unusual schedule, as I study Chinese in the morning and teach English in the afternoons, but the last couple of days I "had " to drink before working in the afternoons (only 2/3 drinks) or thought I might die of anxiety or heart palpitations etc. Went to see a doctor today and was prescribed Ativan (1g before bed) and Kinax (0.5g Alprazolm twice a day). Just wanting advice as to whether these medications are good/bad/ugly in aiding alcohol detoxification.

Any advice/ experience would be hugely appreciated as I have no experience with these kinds of medications.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

We can't give medical advice here, but I'll just tell you my personal experience. I relapsed twice because I couldn't handle the withdrawals. This time my doctor put me on a short course of Librium (4 days) to get me through the worst of it, and it was so much better. But that's just me. Benzos are very, very addictive and much harder to get off of than alcohol. You want to be careful not to trade one addiction for another.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

welcome and congrats on making the choice to quite.

We cant give medical advice here. But I can speak for myself as gone threw several severe detoxing once to the ICU . I always was precibed ativan for it. Anti seizure and yes it helps. Detox from alcohol is very dangers and good to hear you went to a doctor.

Use those the way he/she is telling you to. And welcome to a better life.

Just to let you know I was set on a 8 day tapered. first 3 days 3 pills , next 3 2pill, and 2 1 pill.

Good love , Inda
Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk with the doctor who prescribed these.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Desertsong and Indamiricale for your replies. I was so shocked by having actual physical withdrawal symptoms and have no experience with prescription drugs so think there is hopefully no chance of abuse of those. Just want to get through the awkward withdrawal feeling so I can function as usual. I have been reading on SR for ages and have read horror stories, but have honestly never really felt withdrawal symptoms until now...really freaked me out!

Desertsong thanks for your experience based response, and thank you Indamiricale for you Bob Dylan quote on your profile. Too true, I dream a lot, and very vividly
Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have talked to your dr about your withdrawl symptoms, and I hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I know the withdrawals are tough.. they scared the life out of me as they became worse.
Continue to talk on here..great people have and are going through the same ol things, like myself. I teach too, and I thought of my kids right away. I needed to get help so I wouldn't lose my career I worked so hard for. Also, keep checking in with doc. Good luck! High five!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome smiley! Keep on going! It will get better, and you won't have to go through the withdrawals again!

God bless.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Smileyblue
I've never taken either

We can't give out medical advice here, but do see your Dr again if you have any concerns or worries

D
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

It doesn't sound concerning but drink on those and you will regret that decision!!