Notices

bloody dexies

Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bloody dexies

hi. im an aussie student. about 6 years ago i was prescribed 8 dexamphetamine tablets a day for ADD. I'm a pretty rambunctious person, and a creative type which probably had something to do with the diagnosis, and at the time i wasn't really a recreational drug user.

I'd take the occasional pill but more and more leant towards prescription drugs. after 5 years of being prescribed 8 dex a day i started taking more and more. by about 2 years in i was taking at least 15 a day, and when i'd run out either buying more or stealing them off people i knew. i always had a way to rationalize it. 3 or 4 years in i stopped sleeping, and my friends would joke about "script" day when my room would be so clean and organised. i started playing world of warcraft and insane amount and wouldnt sleep for days on end. Eventually i was taking like 30 a day and would play WoW for a week straight, only stopping when i'd crash. Then no matter how many i could get hold of i'd run out and stop for like 2 weeks when i'd fall asleep.

I eventually had enough and quit cold turkey, one year ago, i had major anxiety and have been on antidepressants to deal with the panic attacks but all my friends still take them recreationally. tonight i just took one, and althought its been a year since i quit, and i only took it out of peer pressure i can already feel myself trying to think where i can source more. Will this **** ever stop? ive put on 20 kg since i quit and i kind of want to start for a cosmetic purpose. THIS SUCKS!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome darthritis

I think you're on a really slippery slope right now - you know yourself it's a pretty crazy plan to dexy yourself thin, especially with your personal history.

Coming here is a great move - you'll find a lot of support here - but have you thought of finding support in real life too?

something like NA or SMART? or some of the great resources you have there in WA?
Western Australia Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS)
24 hour, confidential telephone service that provides information, counselling, referral and advice to anyone concerned about their
own or another's alcohol or other drug use.
Perth: (08) 9442 5000
Regional WA only (free call): 1800 198 024
Interpreters and translators: 13 14 50 (TIS) or 13 36 77 (TTY)
we also have a substance abuse forum here you may also want to look at

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by darthritis View Post

i can already feel myself trying to think where i can source more. Will this **** ever stop?
I too was addicted to stimulants... I remember always worrying about where the next one was coming from. Shudder.............

That "sh1t" will stop when you quit taking them. Period. There is no way that I could ever take them without getting hooked all over again... And yes, I missed them very much at first, and yes, I did gain some weight...

But now I can't imagine taking them again... I got most of the weight I gained after stopping them back off through exercise, lots of exercise... and sensible eating. The exercise also helps in many many other ways.

Please, don't go back there again...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Expanding on what Mark said, not only will exercise help with weight loss, it will blunt your anxiety as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, that's it, it will stop when you stop.

And, definitely, exercise is the answer to lose weight, keep in shape and to help you relax.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When i first came off them the only person i really had helping me was my boyfriend as i kept it well hidden from my family and most of my friends. i toyed with the idea of going to an NA meeting but to be honest i thought maybe my problem wasn't "severe" enough for that. That might seem silly but I figured those meetings might be more for heroin and meth etc.

Its not really helping much that my friends are all constantly trying to get hold of them and taking them around me. i get the feeling they think i'm crazy for getting rid of my prescription since they have such high street value and are so highly sought after.

I've been having dreams for like the last 6 months about finding a suitcase full of them in my wardrobe and going on a crazy bender!