Notices

Day 12 - Insomnia from H*LL

Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Day 12 - Insomnia from H*LL

So I'm beginning Day 12 and have really been feeling pretty good other than the insomnia that started kicking in a couple of days ago. Three nights in a row, I've been exhausted but unable to sleep. If I do sleep, I only doze for a short while, have weird dreams and then wake up less than an hour later. Last night for the first time, I also started getting the shakes and the sweats again. This morning I feel l've been run over by a truck. It's still better than waking up with a hangover (or waking up still drunk from the night before), but sheesh, feeling like a zombie all day isn't a whole lot better! I can deal with not drinking and all the stress that goes along with that, but it's so much harder to do when I'm not well-rested. I've already apologized in advance to my family if I'm an ***hole today! Augh!

I'm pretty sure this is all a normal part of the process but I really need to sleep. All the things I've tried before that have helped are not working now. If you have any suggestions, I'd sure love to hear them. Thank you and have a beautiful, sober day!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish I had a good solution for you, but I was an insomniac long before I started drinking and I still am.

Some things that might help are to keep a regular time for going to bed and getting up and try to make a bedtime ritual that makes you feel comfortable. For example, I found that watching the news at bedtime was not a good thing for me, so I read or watch something light on TV. Herbal teas might help and so might melatonin. I think the trick is to not let yourself get stressed about not sleeping because the pressure will likely backfire.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I gotta agree with Anna, if you think about it too much you'll be up all night. Camomile tea (I make mine a double, old habits) 2 bags in 1 cup, about 20-30 mins before you lie down. A strong brew will help relax you more, but you won't feel the urge to pee. Speaking of which, perhaps as I get older I notice it more, but try to empty your bladder before bed, getting up later can disrupt your sleep. I don't drink caffeine after noon, no sugar after 2 pm. Any reading material is very light before bed, I'm currently reading a big book of trivia, bubblegum for the brain, but it means that my brain isn't engrossed in any plot, not really active. Cookbooks, trivia, facts, etc. anything short and sweet, should make your eyelids heavier.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days!

I wish I could offer you some advice. I am on day 17 and have insomnia too. It is so frustrating. I have tried everything!

Even though I think it is a normal part of the process, I am planning on talking to my doctor about it.

You are not alone. I will keep you posted if I find a good solution!

p.s. I still force myself to go for walks even if I am super tired... It seems to help my mood and wake me up a little bit.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try a nice hot bubble bath and a cup of sleepy time tea.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 16 and insomnia has been a problem for me as well. My sister had a great suggestion that worked for me. Pull an all nighter. I stayed up reading and drinking herbal tea for a whole night. The next night I took a melatonin and camomile tea and went to bed at a reasonable time- elevenish. Since then, I've been sticking with a melatonin and tea and read until I think I can lay down and relax. Going to sleep has been much easier. Now, if I can only get rid of the night sweats! Ughh
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats on your days

Take everyones suggestions. For me every after quiting i dont sleep for days on end. Usually no more than two nites by the thrid day I always crash.

But slowly but surlely it starts to get normalish lol

For me about a month then I am sleeping regularly.

Keep doing what your doing the rest will all fall in to place.

Good love, Inda
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Kiknit, I've been pulling all-nighters for the last three nights. lol I get what you're saying, though. These are great suggestions, and I thank you. I knew this was going to be part of the process but that doesn't make it any easier! And I'm a real crabbypants when I'm sleep deprived. My poor family. lol
Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

OK, this is going to sound crazy but it works for me. Find a great classic work of literature that you wish you could say you read and understood but it was too tedious and hard to understand for you to waste time on it. I used Paradise Lost by John Milton for my insomnia book. Now this is important. It isn't enough to run your eyes over the words and think about sleep. I actually wanted to read it and conquer it. But it was so tedious it put me to sleep within minutes of really trying to make good use of my sleepless nights. See, my mind shuts down with actual tedious work as opposed to fretful tossing and turning. Funny thing how if I want to sleep it eludes, but if I want to learn that eludes me too . . .into sleep! But I have to force myself to focus for understanding or it won't work.

Did I ever read it? No, I never got past the first page or two before I woke up face in the book, and turned the light off for a good night's sleep. If I woke up again, there it was ready for the learning.

Worst case scenario is you learn something and the wakeful night wasn't a waste. Best case is you can't stay awake for it. Pick your own book. I read about two volumes a week so I had to pick a real challenge. But it has to be something you want to be able to say you understand and discuss with another poor soul who had nothing better to do but read it too!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

try taking your calcium, magnesium, zinc supplement before bed...(along with a small dish of vanilla ice cream)...turkey sandwich for dinner, i'm thinking L-tryptophan
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Desertsong - Go easy on yourself. I think your family would opt to deal with a few days of b****iness in order to have the happy, healthy you back in their lives.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Itchy, your post made me laugh! Thank you! But it also makes sense too. I forgot that reading in bed (especially trying to concentrate on what I'm reading) does tend to make me sleepy. I do have a few books here that are good examples of what you were talking about. I'll give that a try too, along with the other suggestions. SOMETHING has GOT to work! Thanks all for the support and suggestions. Much appreciated!!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Meditation music.... There is something called Liquid Mind (google it). It is awesome music that has some scientific research behind it... frequencies, rhythms... all that. It helped me SO MUCH in those excruciating early days...

Use good headphones... over the ear type... the low frequencies are important... This music is so relaxing... They have several CD's "Sleep", "Serenity"... some others. I got mine off iTunes.

Try it!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Desertsong..we are close together in days, not really counting, like 12-13. I have always had trouble with sleep, so don't have a good answer. Last night I watched reruns of my favorite tv show, so I didn't really need to concentrate. Started feeling my eyelids getting heavy, turned off the tv and I think I fell asleep within minutes. Then about 2 hours later the darn fire alarm went off because of a bad battery. So I had to get up, get the ladder and battery to fix it. Needless to say, never did get back to sleep. I hope the insomnia starts going away for you.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Hope you get some sleep soon desertsong

D
Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nice link, Dee. I like the green cow approach.

My advice from personal experience is never take a nap. Whenever I break down and nap I'm ruined for the evening, which means the problem lasts 24 more hours.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am there too desertsong...insomnia is horrribblle. Melatonin works for me too and reading with a small light rather than keeping the tv on which is still a habit i have yet to break. I actually shut it off last nite and read though and I slept straight thru for a few hours. I'm only on day 5 but i've been sober for longer than this in the past and I would say that I was back to normal sleeping after about a month. For you it may come sooner I hope you get some rest and sweet dreams