Notices

Internal struggle!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Internal struggle!

Ugh, there is a struggle going on inside me. Its for the stupidest reason. My husband has been working alot and is off this weekend. He suggested that we go to dinner, just the two of us. Ever since he suggested it, I have been having anxiety. I keep picturing myself ordering a glass of wine with dinner. I keep having dreams about potentially drinking. I am trying to rationalize just having one glass. So rediculous. I mentioned this to him. We have made the decision not to go. I guess its too soon. TRIGGER. If we do go, we will take lil J. (our 11 mth old).

I can not drink! One glass always leads to more! I hate this. I can't wait until the day that alcohol is not a part of my life. I guess, it will always be. It sucks!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey there raqboard,nice to meet you.
apart from coming here to sr are you doing anythingf2f to help with your recovery? i was a flat out drunk before i got sober...if my eyes were open i was drinking...and to go out for a meal just as you are describing was a horrific though when i was trying to stay sober.today i can go anywhere i please..i rarely think about alcohol.i go out for meals...go where folk are drinking and even go out dancing from time to time.i thought this would be impossible! i use AA...have you thought of trying anything like this to help get your life back? please pm me if you have any questions...im around a lot .
Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

raqbord -- Instead of going to dinner with your husband which might be a trigger why not do something else? Go ice skating, or go for a hike, or go to a movie. Do something that is just the two of you that won't trigger your drinking. I think you are making the right decision and good for you!!

This is a hard trigger I get it... esp with wine.. I am a big lover of red wines.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

How about getting a nice takeout dinner, eating at home, and then going to a movie?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. I often have the same struggle since we like to eat out as well. We used to sit in the bar section. Now we choose the restaurant area. It helps to choose places that don't serve alcohol such as Panera or Friendlys (not so fancy I know).
I also like Desertsong's suggestion - do takeout, then go see a movie
Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fancier restaurants tend to go hand in hand with wine but you could experiment with different types of food? Try a small, family owned Indian/Ethiopian/Malaysian/Peruvian/whatever restaurant. Smaller businesses don't always pay for the liquor license and its romantic to experiment with new cuisine with your partner.