Notices

Checking in Day 9 Sober

Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in Day 9 Sober

Started school yesterday. Still thinking of martini's. Can't possibly drink on a school night but find myself thinking maybe on the weekend. Then I remember how my heartburn will return, how crappy hangovers feel... Not confident that I won't drink on the weekend but haven't for nine days, won't tomorrow. I have to live in the now and tell my addictive voice to shut up. I really may drink this weekend, at home, alone, and then stop again. Forever is too long for me right now. I know abstinence is the preferred method but did anyone else take breaks at first and successfully stop ultimately?

Something I read said to set time frames for abstinence. Allow yourself a drinking night then set a longer abstinence period etc until ultimately stop?

Can't remember where I read it but maybe it's just better to go cold turkey. I think knowing I told myself I can't drink makes me want to.

Just thinking out loud and being honest.

Terrible insomnia this week.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Something I read said to set time frames for abstinence. Allow yourself a drinking night then set a longer abstinence period etc until ultimately stop?
Thats a terrible idea for those of us who are here because we can't stop once we start, Snooper.

I know school can be stressful and rough on us sometimes - but maybe you'd be better off looking into positive ways to reduce stress? (meditation, exercise, hobbies, funny movies etc?)

Think about balance in your life. Focus on constructive solutions, not destructive ones

D
Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I meditate daily I am a yoga instructor. I own my own business, have two children, run an animal rescue, and now I'm back in school for a Doctorate. I really don't need any more activities, I just want to stop drinking to the point of feeling sick the next day or acting like a jerk and blacking out.

Just saying how I feel.

Hopefully this will pass and I won't drink this weekend although I am considering it.

Maybe I need Less things on my plate, but I couldn't give any of my activities up, they are too much a part of me.

Thanks for responding.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Ive set all kinds of timeframes. Here I am back on day 1 and confused.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Ive set all kinds of timeframes. Here I am back on day 1 and confused.
So it's best to stay sober. I'm sorry you relapsed. Thanks for posting makes me put drinking out of my mind. Hang in there.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I meant no offense Snooper
I've studied for a Doctorate so I know how much work and stress that it is.

The part about finding other ways to deal with stress still stands

I had to learn about balance. I went from a drinking life that was play heavy to a sober life that was work and responsibility heavy. Neither was particularly healthy for me.

I needed to find a middle way.

If you have little or no down time, I really recommend you look at what you can do about that.

I think you'll see the benefits in your health, your recovery your study, and your family

D
Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

I'm a very driven person like you, Snooper. I have a lot on my plate. But I tend to go full bore toward one or a few things, and let other aspects of my life slip. Such as it was for me with drinking anyway.

This may not apply to you, but I think the key for me, as Dee said, is finding that elusive balance. Or creating it for myself. Without drinking, I still have a great deal on my plate, but my head is a bit clearer, so far I'm a bit less reactionary, and when you cut right down to it, I have one less huge thing to worry about or try to compensate for.

With the exception of the alcohol, maybe it's not about giving things up, but rather assigning them their proper priority and place in life. Just a thought.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I really may drink this weekend, at home, alone, and then stop again.
The problem is it won't be any easier next week, right? Another weekend will come up and you'll have to make the same decision.

It might help to go back and read your posts, just to remind yourself why you don't want to keep drinking. I remember how hard it was at first - I had to check in here several times a day just to keep the old alcoholic thoughts from taking hold.

Think about what else you might do that would give you something to look forward to. Hang in there, Snooper - it really does get better.....