Notices

go home?

Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

go home?

Just a vent really, I'm sitting in the parking lot of a grocery store drinking coffee because I am so lonely & dread going home to have that notion confirmed. I see now that part of the reason I drank was being lonely & sort of pitying myself..along w anxiety, regrets & whatever else. Guess I should leave this lot & hit the gym or bookstore & actually participate in society
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can make it through this rough patch. Going to the bookstore and the gym both sound like really good ideas. It's not the same as talking to friends face to face, but we are always here for ya
Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awww thanks girl, that's really sweet & means a lot to me, I needed that
Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you posted! You have plenty of people here who care about you, so you're never really alone. Reading is a good distraction - throw yourself into another world for awhile.

Early on, we feel so odd without our crutch. We really are learning to live again in a new way. We aren't used to dealing with life without being numb. You'll get there, though. Proud of you for posting instead of grabbing a drink without thinking. You're doing great.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OH Go to the book store. I just moved here and have an awesome huge Barnes & Noble and have yet to step foot inside. I SO want to but every day off I have seems something else is pressing and not able to enjoy the store. This day off was filled with phone calls from lawyers and finance officers...ugh. No fun. I think next day off I am gonna march right in and lose myself in a world of mystery or fantasy. Oh, but first I have to convince myself that I like to read. Hmph, forgot about that. But hey, maybe I'll meet a rich, handsome geek.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Well, posting here while you're contemplating what to do is really good.. you're connecting to 'us' at least, and most of us totally get what you're feeling. I hope you get to the bookstore, I'd choose that over a workout most days :o), but the workout will likely make you feel good too!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your positive posts! I ended up going to the bookstore and unfortunately emeraldrose I didn't meet a handsome geek haha but it would be a great place to meet a guy..better than in a bar GOt a great book on reccomendation "you can heal your life" by louise hay. I read the first page of the first chapter and bawled my eyes out in a good way. I usually don't recommend books until I've at least gotten half way but this one I can tell is going to be great, especially if you're looking for that extra oomph to make and keep positive changes
Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was lonely all my life....one of the things recovery did for me, besides quitting drinking, was to give me a balanced perspective on who I am, and give me the ability to be comfortable in my own company...

It took some work but it was worth it - regardless of where I am or who I'm with or not with I very rarely feel lonely anymore

I really wish the same for you too quit

D
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was lonely all my life....one of the things recovery did for me, besides quitting drinking, was to give me a balanced perspective on who I am, and give me the ability to be comfortable in my own company...

It took some work but it was worth it - regardless of where I am or who I'm with or not with I very rarely feel lonely anymore

I really wish the same for you too quit

D
Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee You're right, recovery is about way more than just not drinking which is why I think I have failed before. I need to learn to really love myself enough to not abuse me and yes, it will take some time but because of people like you who are so comfortable with yourselves and your sobriety, I know it's possible
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love going to bookstores and librarys, especially old ones. I love the smell and feel of books. It makes me sad that so many of the bookstores are shutting their doors.

Hang in there quitforme. You'll hit your stride!

God bless.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Glad you found a positive way to beat the loneliness. I know the loneliness was a reason I drank and I came to the realization it just makes it a lot worse. The gym is also a great outlet I find many great people at my gym to talk to.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I loved "You Can Heal Your Life" - good choice!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bookstores are a good place to hang out, you can even check out the recovery books. Sit down on a bench and read one for awhile (better yet, buy one and support the book store).