Notices

Weekend benders arent THAT bad.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FLA

Weekend benders arent THAT bad.

Getting smashed on the weekends Friday Saturday and Sunday and taking a break all week isn't that bad? You wouldn't be waking up needing alcohol, you wouldn't crave it, and you could function without hangovers all day for work and what not. So why is getting drunk with your friends on the weekends bad?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Good luck with that. That sort of insanity almost cost me my life.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FLA

How so? Alcohol poisoning? My tolerance is extremely high so something like that wouldn't be a problem.. I just don't see how that weekend drinking is bad the body has all week to recover.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why are you asking?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agreed, good luck with that, cause that's how it started for me, but it progressed into much more. And you probably will progress, and you probably will think about and crave it during the week. I wish you luck.
Oh, and it was "one of those" crazy weekends I woke up in a pool of my own vomit-could have died, thank god I didn't.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FLA

Today is my 2nd day sober in 2 months I have been drinking every day or every other day. I'm trying to get it back to only weekends..
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It will be your decision with your knowledge, but there are always bad effects. Money, brain function, hangovers, possible "incidents," overall health...

I'm just starting my recovery and my first hard test will be my 2 nites off on Thurs and Fri. Can't wait in a way, but I'm probably going to get lonely, depressed, anxious and bored. I intend to do it sober though. The nites off would be a lot easier on me if I never drank, because I would like my life more.

EDIT: To be honest, I cut way down in about August and become more of a weekend-only drinker. That should make it easier for me to quit fully now, but I wish I had quit fully then. I'd have my stuff together a lot better.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate. I have tried to drink on weekends only but have never been able to keep it at that.

I'm glad you're here and questioning this.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And this, is how it starts...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Health-wise, it is much better to drink one or two servings of alcohol a day than a whole bunch of alcohol all at once. (I don't recommend nor do I do either option). I realized how much I was hurting my body with my "weekend binges" when I looked up health information about what alcohol does to the body. Your liver and other organs are not made to handle that amount of alcohol all at once. Not to mention whatever it does to your sense of self-control-- for me, weekend binges led to bad decisions, near arrests, arrests of my friends... it wasn't pretty. But still I probably would have kept making those dumb decisions if the boozing hadn't started to creep into all areas of my life, so that I was wanting to drink and drinking more than just on the weekends. Still, the impact of that much alcohol at once on your body should be reason enough for a non-problem drinker to knock off the weekend binges!

PS The recommended dosage of alcohol by medical providers is no more than one to two normal-sized servings of alcohol per day (depending on where you are in the world, and your gender/size). Try to live according to that medical guideline for a month or so, and you will soon find out whether your relationship with alcohol is as innocent and problem-free as you may think...

Best wishes.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FLA

My mom is 10 years sober so I've lived in a house where she preached and taught me all dangers of alcohol addiction and health problems. I am extremely educated on addiction and the adverse health effects of alcohol. Yet I do not want to give it up all together, it's just to much fun. Doctors also say not to eat fast food, smoke cigarettes, too much sun etc.. Yet People still do those things. Look at clubs and bars, no one in there is having one or two units of alcohol, they're all getting drunk. Why? Because it's fun. Plain and simple. I do not know If I am a alcoholic I've been partying since I was 15 being twenty now I have kept partying I don't crave it too much but my life pretty much revolves around parties, clubs, bars etc.. That's just what I do. Would you consider that to be a alcoholic? Possibly just alcoholic tendencys? Maybe I'm on the road to crossing that line? I have so many un answered questions I don't know what to do.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My Story:

2006 - Only drinking friday/saturday night
2007 - Thursday-Sunday
2008 - 4x a week
2009 - 6x a week
2011 - 7x a week
2012 - AA
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FLA

Pretty much the same road I'm taking. And what's bad is I know what I need to do tobstopband become healthy but for sine reason I just don't want too. I have noticed I only drink when my friends drink tho or when there is something going on such as a kegger or Party. Other than that I surf skate or do other random hobbies i have. Summer and holidays are when I find my self drinking everyday or other day. Since college tho it seems like everyday is summer since class isn't till afternoons we can party all night.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Are you certain 'all' those people in the clubs and bars are having fun? ...
I got to the point were it'd be like asking a crackhead to limit himself to smoking just one crack rock, on Saturday, at precisely 8pm... then go back to life as usual.
It just doesn't work.. or only works for a while. Then it owns you.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Only you can decide if your an alcoholic or not. Only you can decide if you want to stop drinking or not. You're 20. You're a grown up. This is a site for recovering alcoholics and addicts. If your looking for help and information on how to stop or support with your drug/alcohol related problems this is an ideal place for you. If your looking to hear people tell you that it's ok to drink and that your just having fun and you shouldn't worry about it, you are in the WRONG place my friend. Not trying to sound mean but really not sure what you're trying to get out of this.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FLA

I am looking for advice. Maybe I'm just looking for a excuse to drink, someone to reasure me it's ok to drink. I sound like I'm an alcoholic. Now I just need to find motivation to quit. Rock bottom?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Then think about drinking and think about your life. And ask yourself if your life would be better if you weren't drinking. Rock bottom is a scary way to go. Its an easy choice because its "get clean or die" but theres a good chance you will be too far gone by the time that happens, maybe elaborate more on your drinking habits. What are you drinking? How much? Only at partys or all the time? After you've had a few how easy is it for you to stop?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I like how Scolova asked "are you sure they are having fun?" Awesome question, because of all the drama/etc. that can go on at a bar/club/party.
The bar can be a big pain in the butt when it isn't fun.

Thanks for sharing so honestly, FLA. What you said makes sense to me. I have problems and drinking is one that has to go for sure. So is smoking cigarettes since you mentioned it.

What do you want out of life and how do you have to act to get it?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I drank heavily casually for years but would occasionally slip into daily daytime drinking alone and hiding it until it was taking over my life. These episodes came close to seriously ruining my life several times, and has prevented me from accomplishing dreams and goals. Even from holding jobs and relationships. If you find alcohol becoming a higher priority than say, work, family and friends, you have a problem. If you try to stop and you can't, you have a problem. It sneaks up on you is what I'm trying to say. It's progressive. Watch for the signs. You know deep down if you have a problem, and if you do, if you are ready to quit.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by FLA View Post
Getting smashed on the weekends Friday Saturday and Sunday and taking a break all week isn't that bad? You wouldn't be waking up needing alcohol, you wouldn't crave it, and you could function without hangovers all day for work and what not. So why is getting drunk with your friends on the weekends bad?

If you can control it, if it doesn't cause you any problems that you can't live with, then I don't think there IS a problem. I don't have any problems with drinking. I enjoyed it for many years. For me though, it "turned" on me and became less and less fun and more like work....and more painful. If it's working so well for you then I wonder why you'd show up on a recovery website in the first place?

As was said above though, if you're an alcoholic, that's precisely how it starts, one rationalization after another to justify further indulgences. Make no mistake though, alcoholics don't necessarily drink tons and tons and don't necessarily drink every day, week or even month. Most alcoholics are "functioning" alkies, have jobs, go to school, have families, etc.