Notices

Overwhelmed

Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overwhelmed

Hello SBC, Well it was my first weekend in my new apartment and I got through it. But boy was I scared I have been living in a sober house for 7 months. I was use to that structured environment so being on my own was a little overwhelming.But I kept myself busy and I went to two meetings and I got through it.Please tell me it gets easier. Has anybody else ever felt like this.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will get easier henderson. Keep on going to those meetings and build a strong support system around yourself. You can do it.

God bless.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

You bet!!(I have felt that way) I stayed at the treatment center I went through and worked for room and board after I completed for a year and a half! I was scared to death when I got my own apartment. As a matter of fact, I was so used to moving around when I was drinking (19 times in less than three years) I didn't put up curtians for three years because I was afraid I would lose my place!!!

However, things did settle down. I got used to the noises in my new home. I started going out more, meetings, grocery shopping, AA/NA functions like dances and such. I went to group once a week for those of us transitioning into the real world. My family started to trust in me again and I was included in those functions. I started walking and enjoying the sun...the SUN!!! Something I was not out much in, in my drinking days. Then there were art fairs, flea markets...you get what I mean, my whole world opened up and I found that living, really LIVING was wonderful!

It will get better, change is hard for us, but I promise, stay clean and sober and it will get better.

Cathy
Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course, it will get easier for you.

Maybe it would be helpful to get some kind of a routine at home that makes you feel comfortable. And, be proud of how far you've come and be confident that you can adjust to living on your own.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It gets easier and believe it or not, it even becomes second nature.

Every day I remember I'm an alcoholic. But I rarely think about having a drink. And that's as far as it goes. I think might think about it, but then I remember the things I've learned here and in AA and my thinking clears up.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Been in a Safe Controled Enviorment is Addictive.
I remember when I used to come home from a Detox centre
after been there for Mabie 6 weeks....I used to go back there
Sit down a I felt Safe again.........Gosh you bring Memories.
It will wear away......Take a nod trip back there and Mabie talk
to those that are there now,it will help them and you.
I remember ,when I became more confident with my soberiety
I used to collect Patients if they were allowed out, and bring them to AA meetings
.....Get to loads of meetings yourself and keep in touch.....Good luck.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you'll grow to like it & feel comfortable lh - I love having my own place

D