Notices

birthday weekend

Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

birthday weekend

This weeking will be my birthday weekened. A while ago I had planned on a having a party at my house and now...I keep thinking it could be my last big blow out! I know that's not what I need though. People keep asking me out for drinks after our family dinner to celebrate and I don't know what to do. I have no days pill free and not many alcohol free so I keep thinking next week will be my new start after the party, but I know it doesn't really work like that. I just have to bit the bullet and turn 36 dry, don't I?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Think of it as a rebirth, a start to a new life.

God bless.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

I feel for you as this is a tough one.
I find that every weekend if it isn't one thing it is another. Next weekend or the weekend after it will be somebody else's birthday or anniversary and you will be faced with the same choice.
Let your heart guide you to the right path.
Good luck.
To put birthdays in perspective, on any given day it is the birthday of approximately 2 million other people.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I just have to bit the bullet and turn 36 dry, don't I?
I did. I had found recovery 3 weeks shy of my 36th birthday. I had DIED many times over the preceding 8 hours in the ER and the last time I was down for over 28 minutes when the ER Dr was putting the Time of Death on my medical chart when my
heart started on its own.

By my 36th Birthday I was in a Recovery Home For Alcoholic Women. Wasn't going to tell a soul it was my birthday, was just going to 'tough it out'.

Well the House Mother knew, she broke my cover, and to be honest it was great!!!!!

Had supper at the house, I and several of the 'ladies' went to a meeting, and then I found out that we had been given 'permission' to stay out a little longer and we went to Baskin Robbins. Some of the folks I was getting to know at that meeting came also, it was a BLAST. I think it was the first time I REALLY laughed, where the laugh came from my 'inner core' since I had stopped drinking.

So, have a nice dinner with your family, hopefully they will get you Ice Cream Birthday cake, and ENJOY your birthday. You just might be amazed at what happens.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-09-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, you just have to do it.

There is a never a perfect time to get sober, or even a good time.

Happy Birthday!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

You've managed to string yourself together a few decent days...I'm sure going through the first few days again isn't the birthday gift you want to give to yourself. How about being kind to yourself instead?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I hadn't fully put the plans together. Just mentioned it to a few people. Just told husband who know nothing about it...he didn't even mention alcohol. I know for a fact I would live this party up wasted till the end...one last hurrah?? Sorry- I quickly lose track of my goal- like every 3 minutes. Seriously
Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

bit the bullet and turn 36 dry, don't I?
yep - you're going to have to because this way next year at this time you'll be able to say. "If I was able to stay sober on my BD only a few days in I can stay sober now after a year."

But I understand - I quit in November and I thought "Now why didn't I want until after the holidays?" but I didn't and I was just plain stuck with being sober over Thanksgiving and Christmas and my borthday and NYE all with under 2 months in. and did it along with some other folks here on the boards.

There will always be a reason to drink. Holidays, Birthdays, Super Bowl, St. Patricks day, vacation, memorial day, labor day etc. The problem is that us alcoholics always see those times as drinking times. Believe it or not most folks don't.

Hang in there aeo1313 - you can tell you really want this - all you have to do is stay sober 5 minutes at a time.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh and I told folks I had a stomach bug - no one pressured me to drink then
Old 01-09-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you will find that if you make a decision and stick to it-- by acting on that decision-- you will have more peace and happiness. Good luck. And happy early birthday!