Notices

I am doing well -- maybe too well...

Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I can't comment on your experience but I can tell you a little bit about my experience.

For me, when I was "sick and tired" of being "sick and tired", the resultant changes were easier to accept.

I really didn't trust much of what I felt at the beginning of my sober journey, and I had that feeling of "waiting for the other shoe to drop". I'm thinking you feel the same way because you say it may be completely different next week.

The point of getting sober is to change the way we live to something better. Trust in the changes. They are pointing you in the right direction. However, I would caution you to continue working on your sobriety plan and develop a strategy to use when the desire to drink can arise. I would recommend you don't become complacent. When our heads are clear is one of the best times to work on our sobriety strategy. We can prepare for any potential perfect storm in the future, and if the need arises, we can employ the equivalent of sobriety "Whack-A-Mole" if we should run into trouble. Work on that sobriety toolbox.

Careful in thinking that "maybe it wasn't as bad for me". It was bad for you; if it wasn't, you wouldn't have changed it. Avoid that slippery slope in which you compare your problem with others.

Keep going; one foot in front of the other.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i've never taken prozac, but i did mix alcohol with all sorts of other substances. anyway, what i do know is that once i stopped feeling desperate and started feeling really good again i was in a dangerous place. we have a unique ability to completely forget that one thing that caused all our problems. we romance it even. i have to remind myself every day of what my intentions are(don't drink or use drugs!) and i still occasionally think about it. i will say that the obsession to do it, and the lie that it's ok and i can handle it has been lifted. i'm grateful for that.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

scarletrose, good job going out and not drinking. I am on day 11, after drinking daily for the last 15 years. I don't think I can do that yet. My wife and I used to go out to dinner 3-4 times a week. My routine was a couple pre-drinks, wine with dinner and then post-drinks. Thanks for sharing, knowing that I might get to go out without drinking.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience with prozac and drinking. Once I stopped drinking I gave the medicine time to actually work and I was pleased with the results. But, when I started taking prozac I started drinking compulsively and in larger amounts than ever before. I was a heavy drinker before for sure, but after I started taking that drug I really started circling the drain. It was like I became even more uninhibited when I was drunk - it led to me doing some really stupid, dangerous, and embarrassing things.

Ah, memories

As far as feeling good goes, didn't you stop drinking (at least in part) to feel better? Well, it's starting. The reason people get in trouble once they start feeling better is that they don't want to remember what got them feeling like crap in the first place. Just remember that you can't drink - if you do, all this goes away. I'm speaking from experience here, BTW lol. So so many times I got to the point of feeling better and drank because I thought I was cured or something because i had felt better for a few days. Finally I realized that I really liked how I felt when I wasn't drinking and that I was going to do whatever it took to protect that.

Anyway, you deserve to feel good and I am really happy you've made it to some of the benefits of being sober Being sober becomes its own reward over time. Keep it up!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep the sober train going everyone! Everyone is doing great so far this year. Congrats!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well!

And, I think it's good to be aware that recovery may not always be a smooth journey.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Hi Scarletrsose! Good for you not drinking! Just be super careful when going out w/ those who drink. I had a year on Dec. 28th and on Jan 5th met some old work buddies in the old city i used to live in a for a second it flashed through my head, maybe one drink would be okay.... I didn't of course, but for me, I feel much safer when I don't go out with those who drink.

Keep on going strong!

Lily
Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I am on day 9. I felt terrible on Friday and Saturday, very anxious and really wanting to drink. Sunday those feelings disappeared! I agree with everyone, have a plan so if the temptation arises suddenly, you are prepared.
TT
Old 01-09-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi scarlet -
One thing I wish I had done was to write down what drinking had done to me and the changes I noticed after getting sober, while it was still fresh in my mind. That's when it's easiest to see the contrast.

I'm so happy for you that you feel good - and you got through your first weekend, too! I think it's normal not to trust it completely at first - I remember being 2 weeks sober and thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could do this - it was still scary, though.

We don't get through life without bad days, but I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the good ones!