Notices

Had a great last week.... but!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had a great last week.... but!!!

I am struggling to keep it level today. I am having an awful day. Everything is going wrong. Plumbing issues, work issues, and I feel downright lonely and isolated...

I don't feel like drinking, but I feel like socializing. Problem is, I don't really have a community outside my drinking buddies... I know where they are, and I want to go. Even though I know I shouldn't or can't. This is frustrating. Not having a good day at all...
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes it helps to join an organization or club that does activities that you like, hobbies etc...you'll make a whole new set of buddies...just a thought
Old 01-08-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben8rzseke View Post
Sometimes it helps to join an organization or club that does activities that you like, hobbies etc...you'll make a whole new set of buddies...just a thought
In theory, you are right. Problem is, I don't really have a good relationship with people in general here. I tend to keep my circle very small. I have serious trust issues because of past experiences here.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're having a rough day. SR is always a good place to go if you're lonely, especially if you're unable to meet with people in your area. Lots of people here are willing to just have a chat, myself included, so reach out if you need to.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found the idea of making new friends difficult too, Ov...so...I kept going back to my drinking buddies.

I don't need to tell you what happened.

Make the effort to make new friends and start building that new life Ov...think about your hobbies and interests, maybe even do some volunteer work - that's what got me out of the house in the beginning

D
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no advice but I wanted to say that I can relate. I also feel very alone even though I actually do have people around me. I also have serious trust issues. So...not like this really helps but you are not alone in feeling alone.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I did what I do best when I feel like this. I slept!!! Gonna try and get a bath, then go order some take out. Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate having somewhere to blow steam. I aint gonna drink, don't worry bout that.. I just wish people put themselves in others people's position sometimes. I know come month end, I am going to war with my landlord... I am preparing for it from now..
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you try the AA meetings yet?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know were your coming from I'm 60+ into my sobriety, I just joined this forum to get something new to do, I lost all my drinking buddues due to the fact I don't drink but that's ok I must get rid of the negativity in my life long storie short due some reading on sobriety it'll do ya good and when that gets old come on here and chat you got a lot of good listeners
Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Did you try the AA meetings yet?
No, I am doing counseling. Started last week. I don't know if I want to go AA meetings, as I am terrible in those situations. Another reason is those trust issues I mentioned before. I am sure I will not open up and speak freely.. The last thing I need is for people on this island to know my business.. SR is my AA thus far, and working just fine.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that SR is a great place for support, but it might be a good idea to try to meet some new people where you live.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're in Virgin Gorda....WOW....That would be a tough place for me to get sober...Seeing as I have never been sober there before. Not even close. You seem kind of rough on AA...Have you ever gone to a meeting?....Do they even have meetings there?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ov this advice may not be for you and most might disagree, but I am going to put it out there. You have trust issues and as such hang with a small circle. I assume that means you trust these guys? Ok here comes controversy....maybe you go out with them. Tell them right upfront that there are ground rules. You won't drink, nobody pressures you and if they see you falter they get you out of there. If they ask why, you simply say "guys, I am off the booze and I need you guys behind me". You don't need to avoid them all together if they are good friends. YOU KNOW YOURSELF BETTER, IF YOU CANT BE AROUND LIQUOR, IGNORE THIS ADVICE!!!! Not avoiding the situations has been great for me, I don't feel abnormal if I hang. And Ps - nobody cares if I don't drink.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We're in the same boat ovrock, this week was totally boring because I haven't gotten out of my 'funk' yet.. Need to focus on moving forward... finding new things to do.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You're in Virgin Gorda....WOW....That would be a tough place for me to get sober...Seeing as I have never been sober there before. Not even close. You seem kind of rough on AA...Have you ever gone to a meeting?....Do they even have meetings there?
No, never went to a meeting, but I know some of the characters that do go. I DON'T TRUST THEM!!!

And yes, VG is a really rough place to remain sober...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MentalLoop View Post
Ov this advice may not be for you and most might disagree, but I am going to put it out there. You have trust issues and as such hang with a small circle. I assume that means you trust these guys? Ok here comes controversy....maybe you go out with them. Tell them right upfront that there are ground rules. You won't drink, nobody pressures you and if they see you falter they get you out of there. If they ask why, you simply say "guys, I am off the booze and I need you guys behind me". You don't need to avoid them all together if they are good friends. YOU KNOW YOURSELF BETTER, IF YOU CANT BE AROUND LIQUOR, IGNORE THIS ADVICE!!!! Not avoiding the situations has been great for me, I don't feel abnormal if I hang. And Ps - nobody cares if I don't drink.
They somehow stopped encouraging me to drink... I feel they saw the beast over the holidays...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do the sleep it off thing to ovrock.

AA meetings have gotten me out of my shell. I can usually speak open and freely at them. Give it a try. You might surprise yourself.

God bless.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
We're in the same boat ovrock, this week was totally boring because I haven't gotten out of my 'funk' yet.. Need to focus on moving forward... finding new things to do.
Been wondering what you were up too...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
I do the sleep it off thing to ovrock.

AA meetings have gotten me out of my shell. I can usually speak open and freely at them. Give it a try. You might surprise yourself.

God bless.
I will NEVER go to AA here
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Never know ov... I went to a fantastic AA meeting today, it brought some tears out of this hardened soul...