Notices

Hello, I'm an addict that's grateful for 37 clean daysdays

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm an addict that's grateful for 37 clean daysdays

First, I want to thank all of members of this website for making this wonderful place to help us recover.

I'm 32 years old, married with 2 girls and a boy which is due in June. On the outside, my life seemed picture perfect. Beautiful wife, kids, house, car, business and EVERYTHING else the "American dream" could ever promise. Inside, struggling with almost 20 years worth of addiction to weed, alcohol, benzos, coke, etc. After several failed attempts to quit "on my own" my addiction took a turn for the worse about 10 months ago. I tried crystal meth (smoked). For 6 months I was on a crash course with this drug until I finally had the courage to stop. Unfortunately, things got worse when I started doing "duster" for a couple of months. This made me realize the problem was not in my DOC (weed) which I had quit for over 2 years. My troubles were much deeper. On November 29 I checked myself into an outpatient intensive rehab hospital.
I have surrendered to my disease and I'm doing everything that's asked of me. Therapy, meetings, sponsor, complete sobriety, etc. I know this is matter of life or death (at least for me it is) and I don't plan on giving up. Once my therapy is done in 4 to 7 months I'll start working my steps with my sponsor.
Sorry for any typos or terseness but I'm in a Disney hotel typing from my IPad. I just wanted to do my intro now since I've been several days without meetings and needed to release some.
Lastly, this forum is GREAT! IMO is the next best thing to going to a meeting/therapy/sponsor. Thanks SR!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

A lot of what you just said is very similar to me. I am living the "American dream".

Daughter, business, home, wife.
I'm just over a month sober ( alcohol)12 years (meth)

Was addicted to meth for a good 6-7 years, did everything in between.
That was the hardest thing I ever had to get away from. I moved cross country to get away from it. After I quit that I started drinking and that lasted has lasted for 8 years.

That drug takes over your brain and it's all you can think of.

But it does go away. It's only a faint memory for me now. The hardest part was the first 3 months.

You have something to drive you here, your family.

You can do it.You have to do it. If you don't you could lose it all.
Good luck.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hardwired, thank you for your post. Congratulations on your Month of sober time!!!!! Meth was the hardest drug for me to quit too and it was only six months of heavy use. I was in bed for over a week and literally thought i was going to die. For us addiction has come with a deadly twist. We can "function" and be productive members of society which in turn makes it harder for us to accept our disease. Have you tried AA? I never believed it worked but i gave myself a chance and went to a meeting. I have to say i was never so wrong about something. In the rooms i find some sort of inexplicable relief, inner peace and strenght to fight for another 24 hours.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your sobriety, 24, and welcome!

I kept the outer appearances going pretty well, too...... Little did everyone know I was just "keeping it together" most days.

Glad you found us - I love this place, too!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post and good luck 24HMission.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome 24HMission

D