Notices

New, and with a question about alcoholism

Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi scruple. I'm sorry you're having this struggle, but glad you came here to talk it out. All the good stuff's already been said - so I'll just add a bit. I wanted more than anything to be a social drinker. I fought hard so I wouldn't have to let go of it completely. I clearly remember thinking how pathetic & dull life would be without it. I insisted willpower would be enough to keep things under control. I fought an absurd & irrational battle against sobriety for over 25 yrs. Each time I picked up I was led down a dangerous path. In the end I had 3 dui's (complete with jail time), a life filled with chaos and fear. Never would I have imagined that could happen to me.

I'm glad you're doing what I didn't do - taking a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your life, & how it may impact your goals and dreams. I hope you'll continue to post and read here - SR saved my life.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

But in terms of just chilling in the afternoon/evening, living in a place that stifles me, I feel at a loss. I'd love to know what other people do to combat the urges and to fill the time.
I spent a lot of time here - I also did some community volunteer work...I played guitar - I reconnected with old friends....and although my work at the time involved reading too, I got some light fiction to read - I didn't find it onerous
Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome scruple!

I'm so glad you came here and posted....... if you read around a bit, I think you'll see your story in so many of ours. I was really scared to think about quitting, too....... alcohol seemed like the only bright spot in my day.

Thinking about "forever" was overwhelming. I had to stay in the moment and stay sober in manageable bites (a day at a time, an hour at a time, etc.). We can usually handle the present moment. The fear comes in when we think about the future.

After a few days I started noticing that I felt different, not just physically but mentally and emotionally, too. The anxiety disappeared and I started smiling more. You gather the strength as you go along, not beforehand. I wouldn't have imagined I could do it either.

We all stood in your place at one time. That's why we say "YOU can do ti too!"
Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new so I don't have anything really to add except welcome to the boards and I hope you find your way.

I wish I could quit for 6 months and go back to moderate but it was so hard to stop I know I can't go back. Don't let alcohol steal your life.