Notices

Campral

Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campral

Hi everyone. I have been sober for 5 days now and feeling good. My main question is I am taking Campral along with Oxazepam for the first week in an out patient type setting.
The Campral is not covered by my insurance and things are rather tight financially. I am taking the 666 mg three times daily for the first week at least. I am curious if I were to cut back after that point to just 333 mg three times daily does anyone know if that may still be helpful?
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone may have to offer.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

As it is part of the 'rules' of this site, no one can give you the type of advice you are asking for. Talk to the Dr who prescribed it, explain your financial situation and ask if a lessor dose would be alright.

Welcome to a life of Recovery and Sobriety!!!!!!!!

love and hugs,
Old 01-05-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If your insurance doesn't cover, you may be able to call the drug manufacturer and let them know about your hardship. for a lot of drugs, many of these companies give you the equivalent of a huge subsidy. Also, do you know if this is one of the WalMart $4 drugs?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oops

My first post and already in trouble My apologies!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lauries right troubledsoul - we ask our members not to ask for, or give out, medical advice.
Yours is definitely a question for your prescribing Dr

I understand you're new though - no worries - welcome

D
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Not meant to sounds snarky, but...did you worry about how much money you were spending on alcohol? This is your life we're talking about. If I had back all the money I spent on alcohol the past 20 years, I could almost retire. Yeah, Campral is pricey, but if it keeps you from drinking, then it is also priceless.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

ask the people who are giving it to you to take. are they doctors?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was lucky, I was covered. Even so, the full price was less than I spent when I was drinking when I worked it out. The doctors take into account a few factors when prescribing your dose, it's best to follow their advice.

I was told Campral takes about 2 weeks to kick in, so give it a chance to work. It did help me with cravings, or took off the edge, and helped me feel more stable, but I still needed to work at recovery, it's not a 'magic pill'.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback to my original question. I do realize it is cheaper then the amount I was spending on alcohol. I should have mentioned that I am currently surviving on student loans and do not get my next check until the middle of February. That was the only reason I was wondering about lowering the dosage until that time.
It is being prescribed by my doctor and I have asked her and my psychiatrist with no clear answer from either.
Anyways, I may stop taking for the time being anyways after a side effect occurred last evening. I am just going to rely on taking an antabuse every few days to put the fear of God me
It is still only day 6 and besides a feeling of complete exhaustion, I am hanging in there.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am just going to rely on taking an antabuse every few days to put the fear of God me
I do NOT believe that is the way it is prescribed!!!!

It is a daily pill.

Sounds like you are still TRYING to do things YOUR WAY.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

why not go back to your prescribing physician and get a clear answer out of them?

D