Notices

Just checking in..

Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just checking in..

Hey everyone, can you believe I have made it to Day 12? I can't!

And with the stress the last 2 days have brought me, I can't believe I didn't drink. My Mom has had a hoarse throat since the beginning of November. So her crazy doc who said it was her nerves/anxiety and to relax. My family begged her to follow up, she saw an ENT on Dec 23; the friday before New Years he sent her for a ct scan of throat. Yes, I am sure you can imagine where I am going, my poor Mom, a 57 year old non-smoker has throat cancer and possible secondary cancer in lungs/bones. We are shocked. This all happened on Tuesday. My poor Mom, I'm so upset.
So Tuesday I said to my husband, "crap, I picked a bad time to give up drinking." But I said to myself in my kitchen, how is me drinking this going to better this situation. Its not at all, its only going to bring me more grief and guilt and possibly a hangover at a time when I need to focus on my mother's health. So I had some water instead. It wasn't that hard to say No to myself this time.
Thanks everyone for listening. I'm going to go see my Mom tomorrow, please think good thoughts for her. Day 12! yippy!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job hun, that was a huge decision you made about not drinking and im very proud of you for not. I will say a prayer for her rite now, Keep on moving forward and you will start to feel soooo much better, i do and its only been 4 mths for me. Good luck
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks sissy1980m, I'm kind of proud of me too.
Please say a prayer, she needs all the help she can get right now. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mammy,
Very sorry to hear about your mother's condition. Keep us posted.

Not a good time at all to drink, thank God that you heard the news when you were sober. You will be a far more effective daughter in her recovery.

Hang in there Mammy you have a lot on your plate at the moment. We are all here for you.

CaiHong
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Maybe your decision to stop drinking on Christmas before you found out was God's way of preparing you to be a very strong person during this time. Alcohol would only numb those scary feelings until a later time. It makes you realize that life is precious, and each new day is a blessing. Congratulations on the 12 days! I am right there with you..I am on day 17! I will pray for your family(((hugs)))
Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Much prayer for your mom, Mammy but congratulations on your progress.

D
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Mo3B - you're doing great - I was happy to see your post
Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mammy - Great news that you're on Day 12 - & not thinking of picking up, even with bad news to face. Getting numb just makes things harder to deal with, not easier (the way we once thought).

Prayers going up for your mom.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Mommy, my prayers go out to your mother and your family during these tough times ahead. My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer when i was 19. Unfortunatly, due to my active addiction I was never there for him during those difficult times. Thanks to God he is alive and well today. On the other hand, you are going to be sober and PRESENT for your mother. You should be thankful for that. Keep up the good work and I wish you a sober next 24hours.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad you did not drink Mammy. You and your mother are in my prayers.

God bless