Notices

First post, second day sober

Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post, second day sober

Well I did it, I've decided to quit. For the last two years or so I have been a daily drinker, what started out as a glass of wine a night turned into 2-2.5 drinks a night, usually a bottle on the weekends, when bottles of wine became too expensive I moved to the box. I knew I was in trouble when I was battling a BAD cold and was SICK and I had no business going for a drink, well I went for a drink, that fact and the raised eyebrow from the hubs was a bit of a wakeup call. That was about 6 months ago, I've been flirting with the idea of quitting since. Two days ago I just didn't drink, no big rock bottom moment or soul searching, I just didn't drink. Yesterday I was a little more aware that I didn't drink and decided to keep the ball rolling, I made it through last night and this morning I made the decision that it's time. I'm tired of waking up groggy and hung over and not being able to have just 1 or 2 on a night out. It's time and I'm ready.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That's great and welcome aboard.

No great "rock bottom" moment for me either. I went from a glass to several to sneaking some drinks etc. I stopped for a day or 2 here and there but always went back.

Finally stopped in Nov and feel pretty good now.

You can do this - I'm so happy for you that you took this step.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great decision
You'll find a lot of support here - welcome to SR LivngOutLoud

D
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like how I started and most others. What was once just a simple drink turned into a pile of bottles. Ugh! And obsessing over that crap was really taking up way too much of my time. Glad you found us.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

welcome...I am new here as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the last 7 days I have found so much support here. Stay around and find help. Best of luck.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was me (minus the box). When i got sick, i convinced myself (and I kid you not), that the alcohol was helping my cold - as in alcohol kills germs. When my throat was sore, i'd drink. And it worked, the throat would progressively feel better (more like numb with the rest of my body). Then in the morning, i fought the hangover and the worse cold.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Livingoutloud, Congratulation on making an excellent decision and moving forward toward a better life.
Be strong and win this fight. We are all in this together and we will beat it.
If you need any help please just ask.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're making a good decision to live a sober life and we are here to offer support.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!Keep up the good work, you will find wonderful suport here!!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congratulations!! I am on day 17 after a couple of years of drinking as well!! I cant believe the support here!! God Bless
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome LivingOutLoud!

I agree - why wait for more trouble?! It's great that you're making this choice now - welcome to the forum!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done. Expect a lot of help here. I would look at a support network outside of the internet forums as well. Tehre is nothing like the real world for making new friends.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I only wish I had done what you are doing, without having to hit rock bottom...I thought I had hit rock bottom several times, that things couldn't get any worse. I'd live with the reality for a couple of days, then somehow justify in my mind that everything was okay and go right back to drinking. When I really did hit rock bottom, it was the most awful thing I had ever felt. This is a good place to be. Lots of support here; I am very grateful for the advice I've been given. I'm on day #2 as well. Keep posting
Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job! I had that 'flirting with quitting' thought about 5 years ago. Wish I had followed through instead of waiting. Listen to your own wisdom. It will save you from a lot of future hell. I assume based on your post that your detox is going as well as can be expected since you are catching yourself early. For a good read I'd check out http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html A lot of those posts show after effects of big rock bottom moments. But your rock bottom can be right now without having to climb out of a terribly deep hole.

Keep posting when you are feeling down or need some support. Or just lurk. It helps.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 6. Friday night I have an activity with my son, we got home had dinner a little play time and then it was time for him to go to bed, I stayed up a bit then decided to watch TV in bed to avoid temptation, it was easier than I thought. Last night not so much. It was tough but I grabbed my jug of crystal light and drank that instead. This sobriety thing is hard but worth it, normally I would have woken up this morning late and half hung over and would have poured myself a mimosa to take the edge off and have an excuse for day drinking. Instead I woke up reasonably early had a virgin mimosa (a glass of OJ) and had a productive and alert Sunday morning. My headache is gone and I feel like my energy level is higher than its been in a long time. Tomorrow will be one week, that will be the longest I've been drink free in YEARS.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck to you, and welcome to SR
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

great stuff LivingOutLoud

D
Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your one whole week tomorrow! Wonderful news, LOL.