Notices

Newly discovered addiction

Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly discovered addiction

Hi everyone. I've been in AA now for about 6 weeks, and I've got a sponsor and have been attending meetings just about every day. I haven't had any alcohol during this time, and have found that I don't particularly want to drink, at least for now. I recently started talking to a guy I met in a meeting, and I've noticed within the past week that just about every thought I have revolves around this person. I've become addicted to him and no matter what I do, I can't stop thinking about him. It seems I've moved from one addiction to another. Has anyone else experienced this during early sobriety? Any tips? I'm driving myself nuts!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey fluffer. The first time I got sober and met my sponser he told me not to get into any relationships for the first year of sobriety, which I blatantly ignored. The reasoning however, is that I needed to concentrate on my sobriety first, and not get caught up in the emotions of a relationship and the consequences of a possible breakup.

Just a thought.

God bless.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check out my avatar, I have an addiction to egg nog LOL. I can easily let go of addictions for some reason - For example, I can wait a year till i have egg nog again but I'm choosing to be stuck up about wanting it haha.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Men work with men, women work with women."

I tried the whole 13th stepping thing last year. Didn't work out too well for me.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it happens fluffernutter, and I've seen it be quite serious if the other person is receptive.

It happens in rehab too so I'm told, and it happened to me once with a counsellor.

It's good you're self aware though - can you mix up your meetings maybe until you get a handle on this?

D
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it happens fluffernutter, and I've seen it be quite serious if the other person is receptive.

It happens in rehab too so I'm told, and it happened to me once with a counsellor.

It's good you're self aware though - can you mix up your meetings maybe until you get a handle on this?

D
Yeah that's what I plan on doing. I think I'm just discovering how obsessive my mind can be sometimes. I also just went through a break-up, so maybe thinking about this new person is helping me take my mind off my ex, too.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very easy to get cross-addicted - that is, addicted to something (or maybe someone) new to try and get us off the old addiction....

stopping and thinking about it, the hazards are pretty obvious.

Hope you find some good new meetings

D
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I'm just discovering how obsessive my mind can be
Actually it is still part of your 'alcoholic thinking.' It is called a DIVERSION by King Alcohol, to get your mind off of recovery and wandering onto something else, which will make it easier to get you back into the bondage of alcohol.

Talk to your sponsor about this, believe me she has seen it and heard it before.

Maybe try more Women's meetings for a while, that will get your focus back on your own recovery.

The good thing: you are recognizing it!!!!!

Keep posting.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

my "drug of choice" can be a substance, a person, or activity which interferes with my daily functioning. I am a "rush junkie" because I get a thrill or rush of adrenalin, maybe serotonin or dopamine. I drank and I used some illegal substances; I often got my rush from the illegal sale.

Yes, I'm an alcoholic with many addictions...reading, drinking, drugs, food, men, the list continues!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Yes, I'm an alcoholic with many addictions...reading, drinking, drugs, food, men, the list continues!
I've never understood this train of thought..........

I mean how badly can reading mess up your life? I mean really? Are you going to miss work because you read too much? HAHAHA.

I'm not knocking you, but let's be serious for a second here:

Being addicted to reading, or say...........video games............probably isn't going to cause you NEARLY as much damage as drinking or drugs would.

I'd say those are healthy habits which are substituting old bad ones.