OK,, So im sober go to aa 3-4 times per week

Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back Ryan - some great ideas here

D
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Since being sober I have picked up some of the old sports & hobbies I use to like & added even more. Instead of lying around hungover in the morning on the weekends until the the next drink in the evening I am getting out & active. This last weekend I went hiking in the mountains, snowshoeing, snowboarding, tubing, played guitar, yoga, tennis & went to play pool with friends as well as two dinner events.... wow, it was an amazing weekend.

Way more than anything I ever did in a month while drinking (maybe six months lol). Spend the money you once used to use on alcohol on other activities. Try something new, you may just find a new passion you love (hiking & snowshoeing are my two new activities that I have found a huge passion for).

Take care & all of the best in your recovery ~ NB
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
Since being sober I have picked up some of the old sports & hobbies I use to like & added even more. Instead of lying around hungover in the morning on the weekends until the the next drink in the evening I am getting out & active. This last weekend I went hiking in the mountains, snowshoeing, snowboarding, tubing, played guitar, yoga, tennis & went to play pool with friends as well as two dinner events.... wow, it was an amazing weekend.

Way more than anything I ever did in a month while drinking (maybe six months lol). Spend the money you once used to use on alcohol on other activities. Try something new, you may just find a new passion you love (hiking & snowshoeing are my two new activities that I have found a huge passion for).

Take care & all of the best in your recovery ~ NB
I meant to include this too...

Lots going on in your area, here is a link to a meetup site with all of the activities in your area: Find a Meetup Group near you - Meetup
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by ryanriley View Post
I need like 3 or 4 sober friends to hang with or I will go back to drinking,, I know it
Hey Ryan -

I'm sorry you're feeling bored and isolated. I have to nitpick what you said here a little bit, though. In my experience, when I've said things like what you stated here it was because I was really just giving myself an excuse to drink in the future. That way, when those friends didn't show up I felt justified in getting hammered, because the little bet I made with myself hadn't paid off.

I think it's better just to recognize that friends would be a good thing to get, and then go about finding them. Don't make your sobriety a part of the equation or you will end up on the business end of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Personally, I have to actually think through scenarios and situations and resolve myself ahead of time that I'm going to be sober even if I don't get my way. Then I go about doing what I have to do to bring about the change I want, independent of my sobriety.

Best wishes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Also, I would say that if your career was your primary motivator before then maybe what you should do is focus your energy on finding a different job that you are passionate about. If getting a different job isn't an option consider working on brushing up your skills. I don't know what you do for a living, but maybe you could consider going to get a degree or a graduate degree or technical certification, or whatever the case may be -- something that can help you in your career down the line.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryanriley View Post
What else do you do??? I go t aa 3-4 times a week, have found really no new friends to hang with,,, im getting divorced and although I love my children they are 7 and 9,, I need adult interaction.. A date?? What the heck do I do?? I am going stir crazy. And I really dont feel like painting rooms or picking up hobby like model building... Cmon,, evryone has had to be in this situation. Any ideas???? Thanks
I wanted to stop drinking for good so bad...I was going to 3 or 4 meetings a day when I gave up and started in AA. Got a sponsor my second day there...Worked the steps...Continue to live the steps....And good things are happening to me...I get the feeling you are more interested in a social club...The only thing on my mind was recovery and changing the way I was living....I got both....And friends too.