Notices

now the hard part really starts

Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

now the hard part really starts

So i'm just now back in my home in the Great White North. My Alabama vacation to be with family and friends was really amazing and sober! Now i'm up here and i'm scared of falling back into my old habits when i'm alone. I'm making plans to keep myself busy and actually going out and socializing (something I haven't done in over 2 years up here). I'm just a little nervous and feeling self doubt. I'll post and read when the craves attack. Wish me luck everyone!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Grits you sure are missin a bet. I was raised up North and we freaked out over the Southern accent of a kid in school we called "Reb" Everybody wanted to hear him talk. He was so cool! But now I am a displaced Yankee living in the South. Down here some folks have the same reaction to me that you do up there. It is like they are intimidated. But I know for a fact that most Yankees love the Southern accent. Play them with it. If they underestimate you that can be a good thing. I think that maybe being a problem drinker had a lot to do with it. It will be uncomfortable at first but if you work at it you may find you fit in as well as you did back home. I kind of like it here now. My first six months in 1971 I hated it.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi displaced grits. Well, I understand your name now!

Doing the right thing when no one's looking is the true test of character.

Last night I had a horrible nightmare that I was placed into my version of your current situation (I'm alone on frequent business trips). I drank, fell into the old pattern. The sadness, guilt, and disappointment were crushing to feel. I even thought "what will I do about SR? I can't ever post there again w/o admitting my failure!". I wandered around the hotel confused, ridden with sadness for what seemed like hours. When i awoke i carried those feelings around with me in the post sleep haze until relief set in that it was just a dream.

I will one day soon actually be in that position, but for the moment want to offer you my support! Don't quit! Stay strong!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Lol, Itchy! People up here do get a kick out of my accent. The "y'all" catches many a person off guard. I'm feeling better about meeting new people thanks to my sobriety. That and many of my friends down in Alabama told me (unsolicited) that I look really good. Healthy eating and being sober have really helped. I think not giving myself time to lapse back into my old pattern is the best way to go. I'm planning on using my vacation as a springboard into my new life up here.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Well you go on! Pretty soon you'll be busier than a one armed paperhanger with a case of the crabs! Now that's busy!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

*falls off chair* bwahahahaha! Nice!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck DPG!

It is funny, I get a lot of "you look really good" when I am sober. That tells me I really look like **** when I am not!!!

Do you use AA? I can't remember if you said you did or not. That is helping me SOOOO much. I am working the steps with a sponsor and feel a real change this time.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I haven't really done much AA. I'm working on my social anxiety and i'm hoping to get stable enough to start going. I see my therapist for the first time tomorrow and I)ll mention all this to her.

I'm doing ok at home so far. I slept like crazy and made lunch. Right about now is the time where the craves set in. I feel a little twinge but i've got a lot to do around the house to keep me busy until they pass.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are making HUGE changes! Good for you. I was nervous seeing a therapist for the first time but very relieved afterwards.

Mine is a nurse practitioner and can prescribe meds. She has given me campral to manage the cravings.