Notices

Angry

Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Angry

End of day 5. Is anger a normal part of this? My mind telling me to drink is one thing.
My body freaking out and betraying me really ticks me off.
Of course that's kinda what let me know I am an alcoholic.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Anger is very normal. Personally, when I get angry I find that just clearing my mind or doing some mindless task (I color) helps the anger to pass. If iMm around people, I make it clear that i'm in a bad mood and will be an unplesant person to be around for a few so please leave me be. It's a really good feeling when that anger passes and you haven't let it get to you. Just remember, it WILL pass. Just give yourself time and remember that this anger is a normal emotion for us to feel. Accept your emotions and learn from them.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Karilynn,
I believe anger is somewhat of a normal feeling when your in the infancy stages of sobriety. I'm only on my 2nd full day with no alcohol and i was feeling very agitated earlier...what works for me is getting some exercise in or like your doing, get on SR and get some support...good luck to you.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Yep, I have a heck of a time with anger, resentment and self loathing, been that way most of my life and I now consider it to be the biggest challenge\threat to my sobriety. I try to think of it like a nagging nerve pain, many times a pain like that will feel so much worse if you are sitting and doing nothing, but if you get your mind onto something else it becomes manageable. I know it doesn't help much but I hope you will find those moments becoming fewer and less intense.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi karilynn25,

I'm new to sobriety (26 days) and was really angry for several days in a row. While there are legitimate things for me to be stressed about I just can't let anything go and it keeps piling on.

Exercise and really nice herbal tea has been softening the edges a little.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I snapped at folks without warning, I was just plain impatient and testy in my first month or two of sobriety. I know how you feel. It sucks but it passes. The body part is over relatively quickly for most younger folks. 30 days average for most. But the mind part lasts longer, different for each. It would be interesting to observe if it weren't happening to ourselves.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Karilyn,

Anger is something I am having to deal with a lot. Usually having a drink would put me in a good mood, although I noticed towards the end of my drinking it was the opposite sometimes.
Now I am really observing my anger. This morning I was able to walk away from a situation without getting real angry and it worked, I was a bit resentful instead, I am not sure if that is an improvement or not.
It used to really annoy me when people would say, be thankful to that person for making you angry, you can learn from that. Boy would that make me angry. Now I do see some truth in it but I am not at the stage where I am going to thank them for it.
I believe the stronger I get in my sobriety the less my anger will take over.
A good place to vent and its safe.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

The first week is tough. Our bodies and emotional system have to cope without alcohol, and we still have to live. My emotions were all over the place for the first 90 days. It really took 6 months to settle down to what I assumed was "normal". It takes time and it takes what it takes. I do not regret my decision to quit at all. Keep on the road you are one.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I'm on Day 5 too, and while I haven't experienced the anger part yet (I hope I don't), I have had some agitation and anxiety. My husband is a drinker too, and the evenings at home are hard because I have to sit next to him and watch him drink while knowing I can't. Actually, I guess that does **** me off a little. lol I told him not to take it personally, but that there are going to be moments when I have to be in another part of the house by myself at night so I don't have to watch him drink. Last night I went upstairs and spent 2 hours reorganizing my closet. It was mindless and really kind of boring but it did keep me busy and kept my mind off of wanting to drink.

We are going to go through all kinds of emotions on this journey and we just have to be prepared for them. What will you do when you get angry? What will you do when you get anxious? What will you do when you get depressed and frustrated? Have a plan in place and things you can do that will help you when those feelings come (and they will). And GRITS, I love the suggestion of coloring - that made me smile! I'm gonna pick up some coloring book and crayons today! My family will probably think I'm nuts but if I tell them that it's keeping me from ripping their heads off, they will most likely think it's a good idea!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

Both good and bad emotions run high in the first few weeks.
It will settle down so don't react to your emotions during this part of your journey.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anger is completely normal, your brain is just starting to bounce back from being soaked in alcohol. As others said here, it takes awhile to level out so be patient. In the meantime, pay close attention to nutrition and exercise. I think alot of times that gets overlooked when we're talking about getting sober, but it's really important. Give your body the nutrients, vitamins and hydration it needs to heal and exercise to release some good endorphins to help with your mood. It just keeps getting better.

Sober date- 6-13-11
Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Karilynn

like others have said out emotions can be all over the palce in early recovery - especially the strong ones like anger.

It took me a while to find my emotional level but I did - I hope it won;t be too long for you

some people find making a regular gratitude list (all the things you're grateful for) can help

D
Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Desertsong,
I'm sorry that things are so much harder for you and stand in awe that you can be anywhere near alcohol. I thought about getting rid of certain everyday items that I won't list here because some may not know about them. Stay strong and don't give up.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Yes-- angry, crabby, irritable. I actually forgot that before I started drinking I used to be a temperamental person, but the booze really kept me sedated. Especially in the beginning I would get mad or pissy for no particular reason. I'm learning better ways to deal with my anger now that I'm sober and a lot of the edginess that came with early sobriety has faded away.

Hang in there!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I get very angry at the world in general that I am an alcoholic and that I can't drink while other people can. It feels unfair and wrong. I get angry at people who drink around me. I get angry at people who don't understand what I'm going through. And mostly I get angry at myself. I am not used to anger as an emotion (although I am used to plenty of other overwhelming emotions!) so it is strange but I suppose normal and part of the process. I think it is part of acceptance, which is important. Best wishes. Stay strong, the feelings will come and go but sobriety is forever and will keep you feeling better and better in the longrun.