Notices

A big hurdle???

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A big hurdle???

Ok, I have been less than a full week sober and this week is my sisters wedding. Drinking will be occurring and I have been invited to the bachelor party. I have a plan for the drinking-leaving lol. I know, not sofisticated at all, but if I start getting irritable or wanting to drink, we will leave for a time, not sure for how long, but if I can't stay, we won't. I am posting this as I might need some "pick me ups" this week with all this.
Thanks in advance for the support
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

It's great that your making a plan to stay sober. There was heavy drinking at the New Years Eve party I went to and when I felt a crave, I just went outside and chatted with whoever was out there. I shared my problem with my close friends and got a lot of support there as well. Good luck and don't feel guilty for steping back to preserve your sobriety. It's what your real friends would want you to do.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck to you my friend!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome aboard dorito!
Post often and you will get a response. Sounds like you aren't making excuses to drink and have a relapse and that is great! So many do. Congrats on the almost week of sobriety!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you really feel the pressure and think you might give in - you might have to "get sick" and not attend. It sucks I know, but not drinking is more important.

Hang tough - someones always here if you need support.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone . I think I'm doing pretty good so far, plenty of beer around the house, that's for sure. I look at the beer, and not sure if I want it or not, I think I have myself convinced that I CANNOT DRINK that it doesn't even cross the realm of possibility. But tonight, people were all drinking around me, I was pouring my soda and my hand was shaking pretty good for some reason, not real sure what that was all about-my wife noticed though
On a lighter note, I got some sparkling grape juice tonight for the bachleur party tomorrow
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dorito! Does your wife know about your decision to get sober? When I have to go to these kind of events where I know I will be tempted, I do a "dry run" of the evening in my mind before I go. I try to anticipate the times I will be most vulnerable and imagine a solution beforehand so I don't feel so pressured when it's happening. Doing things this way has also given me a lot of insight into why I pick up the first drink during a relapse. Best of luck to you
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, the wedding is over and I did not drink! Yea! It was tough at times seeing everyone having a great time drinking, I will just have to relearn on how to have a great time without drinking. But for now, I feel this is good progression-10 days sober
Thanks everyone for the support!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congratulations! Obviously, this was worrying you about possibly relapsing, and you overcame!! I am 20 days sober myself, and I have found that making the decision beforehand is key. Happy 10th day!!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's great, dorito!

I'm sure it wasn't easy!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome job dorito on managing your actions for this bachelor party/wedding event! That is excellent progress to hold yourself accountable man! Life is full of weddings, birthdays, holidays and business trips...you name it. Be cautiously proud! You have much to be optimistic about!

GoMan
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

good job not drinking. I am only day 8, and its very early in the morning, but I wanted to comment on the whole fun drinking thing, because its something i have been thinking about myself. I look at children playing, and they laugh, run around, play games, having a fantastic time, and they aren't drinking. I watch extreme sports, knowing these people are having the best and most exciting time in their lives, and you know they aren't drinking. I watch my animals frolick in the yard, and I know they aren't drinking. I look at when I drank, and I know that wasn't fun at all.....just lonely, miserable, and self destructive...how did I get it so wrong? just a thought...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through the party without drinking. It feels like such a huge accomplishment I'm sure. Keep it up. It definitely gets easier.

Losteverything, great point. It really got me thinking
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losteverything View Post
I look at children playing, and they laugh, run around, play games, having a fantastic time, and they aren't drinking. I watch extreme sports, knowing these people are having the best and most exciting time in their lives, and you know they aren't drinking. I watch my animals frolick in the yard, and I know they aren't drinking. I look at when I drank, and I know that wasn't fun at all.....just lonely, miserable, and self destructive...how did I get it so wrong? just a thought...
wow, never really thought of it like that, thinking about it now, while I loved drinking and partying, most of my drinking was alone or even if my wife was there, I was very alone, selfish me .
Thanks so much for the perspective, it's amazing how this disease effected us and blinded us in so many ways.