Notices

I did it!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it!!!

I woke up early this morning, ate breakfast, and then proceeded to catch the 8:00 ferry. I went to the treatment center and met my new councelor and the good people that will be assisting me through this...

I must say that I have the honour (or dishonour) of being the first patient for the year... They took me through the necessary routine of gathering information about my personal life, drinking habits etc etc. Then I was introduced to the counselor, who sat with me for about ten minutes basically orienting me. My first session on Thursday will be some kind of group session from 11:00-12:00. Then a one on one session with him from 12:15-1:00. I look forward to all of it.

I am also aware that the buck stops with me. In the end, the success of this "project" depends on my commitment to sobriety. But I must say, that it feels good to finally admit that this was indeed bigger than me, then go out to seek help...

Thank you SR for helping me open my eyes, and break through the pride barrier...
Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AWESOME!!!!! That's great ovrock!!
Big hug to you!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on taking a HUGE step! Weird as it might sound I LOVED rehab.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you ovrock! I know how hard it is to make yourself take action, but you've done it and you'll never be sorry. It's great you're excited about doing this, and looking forward to it - rather than feeling like it's been forced on you. I think you'll have outstanding results.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all... The funny thing in this is that, coming here to give a report of my day was like a little kid who won something at school running home to show daddy the prize

Seriously though, I nearly chickened out...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That act took a special courage that we are all familiar with, either because we can't yet find that courage inside ourselves, or because we already have. You certainly have earned the right to feel darned proud of yourself. Well done.

The most important part of your sobriety journey is the step you take right now.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for taking action!

And, it's also so good that you know, ultimately, it's up to you.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulation Ovrock,

I wish you success in your recovery and a better life for 2012 and beyond.
Stay strong
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Congats Ovrock. Eleanor Roosevelt says "Do the thing you think you cannot do" and it's one of my all time favorite quotes. Every time I face a fear, be it large or small, I gain a renewed sense of hope and personal power. What you did today was large. Be proud
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey man! I am soooo tickled, wait'll So Cal sees this! I feel like my best friend just got the job he tried for! I have been there and know, as was said. Betcha will be glad later even more. Whatever it takes.
Now you gotta keep posting!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hooray!!! That is awesome.

I sure know that scared fluttery feeling and desire to just head off in another direction at the last minute.

Well done you for going in that door, and what a wonderful rebirth for you lies ahead. I will be thinking of you on Thursday with joy.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

great news ovrock

D
Old 01-03-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How brilliant....I had been following your posts with interest and a huge amount of empathy..our stories are very similar. Not long out of Rehab and doing well now. I know you will too and all my positive thoughts and good wishes go to you.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on having the courage to face your problem head on and big kudos for developing a solid plan in which to go forward.

You can do this....

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks again for the support. Of course I will keep you all posted.

Funny thing happened this evening. When I returned here in the island, I met up with a friend who went through this process long time ago (he still drinks BTW). A good friend of mine, who happens to be the rep for heineken on the island appeared. He is trying to promote some new brand of stout. He sat with us while the stout chilled. When chilled, he tried to force me to try one. Can't blame the guy, he has no clue of my situation. I apologized, then insisted that I am not drinking and do not want to try..

Point is, it is really difficult to even go somewhere for food here and not get someone trying to pour the poison down your throat. Imagine that, hours after I made probably the biggest move in my life, I am faced with a decision like that. Thankfully, I resisted the urge...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to go ovrock on turning down that beverage! You really do have what it takes! I think it gives us all inspiration to read posts like this.

It can be done!

God bless.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so proud of you OV! Good for you! I am still not drinking myself, though last night was tough. I am continuing to rely on all the good people here on SR, my AA meeting at lunch, the chat room (on there most of the day and night right now), and of course, YOU. We're in this together my friend, and we're going to beat it together.

"Even though a number of people have tried, no one has ever found a way to drink for a living."

Keep on keeping on!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the words of support. Today is day 8. Tomorrow on day 9 I am going to my first group and counseling session... Hopefully this is the beginning of my new life. I feel great to be honest. Just the little bouts of depression from time to time...

I intend to re-join the gym next week (giving myself some more time to heal, and more time to snack out) I lost alot of weight the past couple months, but in an unhealthy way.. Also for the first time in months, I am watching a soccer game. Last night I watch NBA. These are the things I loved doing...

I am taking my life back!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

OV

keep up the good work - and there will be a time when someone offering you a drink will not be an issue - just a simple no thanks and moving on

you can do it

D