Notices

i cant stop drinking :(

Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i cant stop drinking :(

to cut a long story short i've been drinkning on and off for 20 yrs
(now 36). I've been addicted to most drugs mainly cocaine, GHB and weed and i can honestly say that booze is the worst drug out there at least 4 me. its available all over and any time of day. i dont have to wait on a street corner to get my class A's i can just go down the off licence n buy a bottle of vodka no questions asked. if alcohol was invented today it would be class A for sure. i drink so much that most mornings i wake up with no memory of the night b4. i'm ashamed to say that 1.5 litres of vodka gets me about tipsey, i dont wanna do it, i cant afford it and its ruining my life but still i cant stop. i go to work then the gym then straight to the shop for a litre of vodka which is drunk in under and hour. its not about the taste its about blotting out **** in my head. crap job, in debt, self loathing. Have tried stopping completely but could not sleep. tried weening down but couldn't leave the last bit in the bottle. its ruining my relationship and y the f**k my wife puts up with me i dont know cos if it was the other way around i think i would have left her. i drive drunk and surprised i've not had a seriious accident yet - tis bound to happen soon 4 sure. then to top it all off i spent 5 days in hospital with an inflamed pancreus due to drinking. my food was not being digested and was coming out the same way it went in. All this and i still cant quit. have had half a bottle of voddy while typing this and still wanting more. i know there's peeps worse than me and some not as bad but i cant continue like this and would appreciate some advice. Am booked in the doc's on fri to be honest open up and try and get some help from them. thx 4 reading this and any advice of info would be more grately received.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think it matters if there are people that are worse off or as bad as you. You don't need to compare yourself to anyone when it sounds like you understand the negative effect alcohol is putting on your health, relationship and every other aspect of your life. You CAN quit, it is possible. I think going to the doctors and being honest about just how much you are drinking and asking for help while you are there would be a huge step for you. You need to quit before you do get in that serious accident, physically hurt someone or yourself and before your wife leaves you. I know it can seem hopeless, but you are not alone. I hope you can find the strength you need to quit. Keep coming on here and reading posts. Everyone always says that because it truly does help.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm really glad that you're going to the dr and talking about your drinking.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm glad you are going to the doctor. Please be honest, they are so supportive and will do whatever they can to help you. Have you ever been inpatient? All I can say is get honest and everything will fall into place. I hope you will stick with us and work to get where you want to be - sober and healthy without all these worries that without the drugs would surely be of no problem for you. It's the drugs and alcohol (both are drugs) that are causing your problems. I'm glad you are taking action.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Going to the doctor is the best thing you can do. Just make sure you are completely honest about how much you drink so that he/she will know the best way to treat you and get you through the detox/withdrawals. My doctor is extremely compassionate and knowledgeable and knew exactly what to prescribe for me to get me through the first few days. I'm on Day 4 and feeling great. I know that once the physical part of it wears off, the emotional part of it will continue for a long time though, so I joined AA and it is doing wonders for me.

You know you have a problem and you want help. That's a great start. Just follow through, do what is suggested by your doctor, get some support (AA, a counselor, etc.) and stick with it. You CAN do this, no matter how hopeless you might be feeling right now. All of the people here on SR are proof of that. It can be done. I'm happy to hear that you are ready to get sober. There is no drink in the world that feels as good as being sober does. Good luck to you.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Sounds familiar Tonker.

A lot of that was true for me....some worse than me, some not so bad. We're all somewhat different yanno?

Inability to stop once you start drinking - ie a physical craving - that's an almost sure-fire sign of being an alcoholic.
Inability to stop once you have a good reason (or a bunch of them), WANT to stop, NEED to stop............. but can't stop. - that's a massive strike # two.

So the question I hear you asking is how do I quit when I can't quit? What do I do when nothing has worked?
Am I close here?

If you're an alkie like I am you're right on one part - you CAN'T stop. No encouragement, no summoning of the will, no help/love/support, no cheer-leading, no posting on this website, no attendance at AA meetings, no rehab facility will give you the ability to stop.....not for long anyway. The good news, however, is that if you can get with what I just typed and it makes sense to you, you've just taken the first half of the first step in AA. If you're willing to keep going, I can promise you drinking will be a distant memory before long, you won't ever need to drink again for the rest of your life, and you'll be pretty damn happy from here on out.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do it, one minute at a time, thats what i had to do, got, 4 mths and still do it. Get thru the first week wo a drink or drug and time will go by fast, stick with AA i love it, gettin a sponsorhelps alot. Good luck
Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

but is action enuff ? will it stop me ? sometimes booze is a ll i think about. i so wanna stop but n ot sure i got it in me even tho its gonna ruin my life
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tonker

I really identify with your story - I was literally killing myself with booze but couldn't stop.

It took nearly dying for me to reach out for help, so you're several streets ahead of me on this

I drank daily all day every day for 5 years and binged heavily for another 15 behind that - all I thought of was booze, all I did was drink....

It was hard to stay sober - of course it was - but I had a lot of support and I just took it day by day in the beginning.

I'm nearly 5 years sober now, so if I can do it...

I agree with everyone else - be honest and open with your Dr - they're there to help and they can only give you full help if you give them the full story.

D
Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

post trader ur so bang on thats how i feel. booze is the worse drug ever. i will beat it thats 4 sure.v b ut there shud b more elp 4 this kind of addicvtion cos its worse ever
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

is action enough? well it has been for many many millions of people for a bit over 75 years...so yeah, experience and history tell us it is.

Whether you "have it in you or not" is irrelevant in AA. Matter of fact, the more sure you are that you DON'T have it in you........the better your odds are at getting recovered.

and yes, I know that doesn't make much sense. it didn't to me either. maybe an example will help.

Lets say money is my only problem in life. I have none, haven't ever been able to work to make any real cash, I've cut all my expenses and that's STILL not working....Ive tried extra jobs but can't get hired........etc etc...... If you had a way for me to get in touch with my rich uncle Bill Gates....and Bill had been dying to give me a ton of money........wouldn't my money problem be solved? Sure...I just need to get in touch with the source of what it is I need. Now, until I recognize I need money, until I'm willing to go outside of my abilities to get it......I'm not gonna hook up or even consider hooking up with uncle Bill.

The more I think "I've got it this time....gonna make it stick this time.....I've got it all figured out.......... and I'm set........" the more ppl tell me "you're good........you can do it.......keep on going baby........one day at a time........" then there's no chance I'll go to that rich uncle, there's no chance he can help me and I'm out on my own trying to solve a problem that I may or may not ever figure out. So you see, once i can see/admit I don't have a solution (on or of my own) then I'm opened up to receive help from the rich uncle.........problem solved.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

double.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-03-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The NHS has a list of alcohol treatment resources by area Tonker

Find more health services - Alcohol addiction support - NHS Choices

Addaction is pretty good too by all accounts if you have them near you:
Addaction | Drugs & Alcohol Addiction and Recovery: Support - Help - Advice

also:
Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain

Smart Recovery UK

and
The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282 Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

D
Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Tonker,

Glad to hear you have decided to quit. Good advice from above. Just want to wish you all the best, sobriety may be hard at times but believe me it is well worth the struggle, there are rewards.

CaiHong
Old 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tonker.....Vodka is literally poison, and will eventually kill you..I have drank most days that much and more for 20 years...I am currently detoxing off drink now, on my body is just freaking out, shakes, sweats, jumpy, cranky, listless, the whole serious alcoholic detox symptoms. The worst part is the dreams..but I know I have come to the end of my drinking career, it was only getting worse and worse where I literally had to bring alcohol to work to stave off the shakes. I booked off the first 2 weeks from work to get through the worst....after my own detox, I realize that I have to find a way to stay quit...I will cross that line when I stop shaking and heart racing...
Can anyone tell me how to start my own threads here? I have searched all over, forget how..maybe because I am so dizzy...
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi

Just hit the big blue new thread button at the top left hand side of the main forum page you want to post to

D

Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I could not stop drinking either but didn't drive drunk etc. Many years but the last two the worst. I had decided that if I did not stop I would die and lose everything not necessarily in that order.

I also talked to my Doc once I was determined to quit. I made arrangements to do my detox in hospital to give me a head start. and signed up for a follow on rehab,that I really didn't need. I used here and AA and counseling and my two medical docs, as well as family and friends for support.

I was through, didn't care who knew, I was desperate, and did not want to die this way.

I had terrible PAWS and it took me 6 months to really get over everything.

If I can do it, so can you once you are willing to do whatever it takes, with no looking back. The problem is how tough the first weeks are. If we are determined enough like I was and no excuse, no any conditions, just done for life, then you may succeed. I hope you will.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

What's the word today Tonker? How's it going?