Notices

What Made Me Diiferent

Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Made Me Diiferent

1 I never drank before 5PM
2 I was a happy drunk
3 I usually had between 2-4 glasses of my beverage of choice every single day for five years straight.
4 People loved to be around me when drinking
5 Never caused me work issues...in fact I was the early bird
6 Never caused me family issues
7 Never caused me money issues
8 I only drank high quality booze
9 Many people I drank with got more drunk than me
10 Nobody I tell believes I have a problem

I promised never to fully document my list to you all until I was over believing my b$llsh$t. Well today right before I wrote this, I have officially seen all ten of my reasons on other peoples' posts (happy drunk was the last); and have gotten over my "non-alcoholic" self. Entering 2012, 35 days sober knowing I'm a roaring alcoholic and proud.

PS: I read an article once on DNA, that suggested that all humans are 80 or 90+ percent of the same makeup (can't remember the exact percentage), why was I dumb enough to believe I was different than my drunk brothers and sisters? Here is to hanging with the recovering clan in 2012!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 35 days! I'm right there with you with the list of reasons why you're different which turn out to be not so different after all - in the last few days I've had the same realisation myself through reading many threads here. Best of luck for your continued success
Old 01-02-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go on 35 days...It is easier to deal with when you get over the "Am I?..."
Am I not?" ...BS. I have a younger brother dealing with that and it's painful for me to watch...He'll know when the time is right...I sure had to get my ass kicked to find out.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Sapling. It pains me to admit that I have a kid brother 10 years younger who I am fairly certain is an alcoholic too. He crashed at my house over the holidays with his new girlfriend and all they did all day was drink scotch. In the middle of the night they were sneaking around like school kids and tripped my alarm system refilling their glasses. In his late twenties, when do you finally say grow up? In the morning as they were eating their hangover meal alone (very rude considering we are a family of four with two kids), I pointed out my alcoholism to them both - ps I never met this girl before, and told him it just wasn't cool.

Wish I could say he gave me a gratifying answer. I guess my fault for enabling him, but what pricks we drunks make, hunh?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MentalLoop View Post
Wish I could say he gave me a gratifying answer. I guess my fault for enabling him, but what pricks we drunks make, hunh?
Got to be the best...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

id say that was a good remeber when..
you know what they say about people who live in glass houses?
its hard to see in others what we once were?
but we all have our individual paths to tread .so dont be too harsh on him.
maybe sit down with him and tell him what you know of this disease
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, UNBELIEVABLE! You just described me down to my boots! (except I usually bought cheap booze so the wife wouldn't notice I spent more money on booze, and I'm cheap). Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for sharing that! I think you might have just made my day, resolitifying the fact that yes, we are not normal drinkers and we have a problem-better yet, we know it's a problem
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To be honest, for the first time I didn't lecture him. I shared my alcoholism realization (my story), pointed out that it has taken me time to admit but that I was feeling great. Also, because I am trying to take hold of my anger and resentment, I completely refrained from any type of sarcastic or baited comment....well except to wash the frying pan. I know we all have to walk our own path, but it is tough seeing your younger brother fall down your own rat hole. Nonetheless, short of not enabling, I've gotten off Olympus (read: my high horse) with him. No holier than thou coming from me, hell, I wrote his example book!

On a side note, there is all this talk about being careful who you share your alcoholism with. But for my brother, I was willing to proclaim to a woman I had never seen before that I was sick, in the hopes that he could see that those are the wrong footsteps to follow.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 35 days! That is terrific!

Here's my list with a nod to Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A Redneck" jokes.

If drinking is no longer voluntary, and has become mandatory . . .
You might be an alcoholic!
If you can't stop after one drink or 5 . . .
If you wake up wondering whose underwear you're wearing and where you were last night . . .
If the clerks on all three shifts at the local liquor store have your name, address, and driver license number memorized . . .
If when you go to the liquor store you are followed by a clerk with a shopping cart without asking . . .
If you ski and you have ski poles that are filled with whiskey . . .
If you have set a quit date of tomorrow more than 364 times a year . . .
If you are functional (or dysfunctional) . . .
I you have to clean out all the hidden bottles in the guest bedroom before letting any guests use it . . .
If you drink more than your Doctor . . .
If your idea of a good morning is one where you don't puke . . .
If you are looking for any label other than alcoholic to account for you blackouts and behaviors . . .
If you spend a lot of your time in de Nile without a paddle . . .
If you quibble terms and think your recovery method is the only way . . .
If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired . .
If you didn't really find any of these funny . . .

I'll join that club with ya! As one fellow roaring alcoholic to another, recovered or not.

As far as when he grows up, you are now about to be a living "good" example.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lmao

Wine store lady used to follow me with a cart. When she sold it, she personally introduced me to the new owners.....and I don't know either of their names....or can't remember anyway.

I'm in the land of the Nile as we speak (really). If I hit the water I will make sure to take a paddle.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member