Notices

After 2 bottles a day..Im back

Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After 2 bottles a day..Im back

Hi all. Im back.

I haven't told this to anyone, that I drunk almost each day last year. And not just 1 glass, 2 bottles of wine to be precised. I skipped some days, but not a lot.
I have decided to quit for 6 days and then for 30. The thought of quitting forever makes me panic, so I have chosen to be sober for 30 days and then decide what to do.

Today is the 1st day and I feel terrible. Bored, just tv and no fun.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there! At first it does seem boring because there is all the extra time to fill up that used to be filled by drinking and watching the ceiling fan. Watch movies, read, workout, and keep posting here! The first month is the hardest but then time starts to fly.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I just read all your posts from last year, I guess you didn't have all those 5 days sober and 28 days sober in September then.

Congrats on starting out 2012 with honesty. We can try all we want but until we face truth we won't get far. It looks like you are learning that lesson.

As before we are here for you, what are you going to do differently this time?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey OP , its best to focus on being clean and sober just for today . That is all we have to do . Just for today . It makes it easier and takes any pressure off of us , Good luck my friend .
Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Itchy

This time I just have to do it. Otherwise I will spend the rest of my life drinking.I drunk all the time last year. Disgusting. This time I want to achieve those 30 sober days and then decide what to do.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Robbie86

One day at the time makes me panicky. Because I think ok I do not drink today, but I might get some tomorrow.

What I like this time is that I want to see how I will feel after 30 days.

At the moment very bored and not interested in anything.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being honest with loved ones, but especially ourselves can be tough! Like last fall when I decided to quit for thirty days then "see what happens.".

I realized after I went back to drinking that I was lying to myself....the "real" me wanted to quit forever, but the stronger "sub-me" didn't and so the 30 days thing was the compromise for the "sub-me."

Day 24 today, and while it's not been easy at least I don't have to deal like last time with the "what do I do at 30 days?"

Just my $0.02. Wishing you all the best!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

unentschieden

So honestly how do you feel being sober 24 days? I quit smoking too. So double craving.
Im very scared to go to bed tonight, because I do not want to see nightmares!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
unentschieden

So honestly how do you feel being sober 24 days? I quit smoking too. So double craving.
If you are worried about nightmares, one approach is to get a dream journal going. Wake up and write down exactly what was happening in your dream. For some reason this is very calming to the mind and also quite interesting over the long haul.

And I also benefit a great deal from exercise: go for a long brisk walk. Take your dog if you have one - or borrow a dog! Animals with their cheerful sobriety are always soothing to be around. Jog around the block. Whatever is doable. It pays you back tenfold.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

First, 24 days feels like 24 months! Time has crept by slowly. But I feel much better physically every morning... and mentally free of watching the clock until i could start drinking.

It's not all sunshine and roses. I'm sleeping a lot, but at the wrong times. I'm terribly grumpy and apathetic. Im resentful of the BF who could take or leave alcohol. These feelings are temporary, hopefully.

But from reading other posts on SR I know I'm not alone. And I know I want this...That's what is different this time.

Ps: I quit smoking a long time ago. My lungs were begging me to stop. The benefits are almost miraculous! I can remember the exact moment I could taste and smell again!! No more chronic bronchitis! I could run for a bus or just because I wanted to run.

Too bad my liver can't cough or I might have stopped hurting it sooner.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you find a way to quit for good.

We are here to offer any support that we can.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

unentschieden

First of all, you shouldn't try to quit drinking and smoking at the same time. Quitting either one is incredibly difficult, quitting both is too much.

A random tip that helped me these first six days was this - every time you feel like drinking, grab a bottle of gatorade. Green, orange, doesn't matter. For some reason, whether its the sugar or electrolytes or what, it really really helped. I brought a little picnic cooler downstairs and filled it with ice and gatorade bottles lol. I must have drank like 2 gallons the last couple days!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Healthyfood

When I quit I was terrified I wouldn't be able to make it either - but I stuck to my commitment...as hard as that was sometimes - and I leant on the support I found here, and elsewhere.

I did *everything* I could not to drink. It worked

If I can do it, you can too

D
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dee74

Thank you. Any ideas how to have a good night sleep on day1? Im scared of bad dreams.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back healthyfood....
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

dawnrunner

I like walks, but not in winter. Its too cold and dark. When I see nightmares, the only thing I want to do is hide under the blanket. I won't be able to keep dream journal, too scary.
But I like your idea.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ClosetAlchie

I bought water filter to encourage drinking more fresh water. I might get some tomato juice to get some color in my glass.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

stevie88

How are you? I see you have new date set 1 Jan 2012.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dee74

Thank you. Any ideas how to have a good night sleep on day1? Im scared of bad dreams.
First day is the worst but it gets better. Getting sleep is the worst and using a sleep aid is not safely. People get a high change of sleep walking when on sleep aid when quitting alcohol and more so if you ever blackout when drinking. I always have to tough through it. My sleep is the worst but there is nothing else you can do.

If your nervous about it then talk to your doctor about recovery and remember to tell them about your alcohol abuse. You don't want to your doctor to give you something that can harm you because you didn't tell them about your alcohol use.

Good luck and things get better!