Notices

Things to help me stay sober

Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JEANS

Things to help me stay sober

I've been sober for 4 days now and want to find things to help me stay off the booze mentally.

Does anyone know of any good books I can read to help me stay sober? I love reading so that will entertain me during the week. Also what does everyone do as a hobby now? I need to keep entertained at the weekend that maybe I can encourage friends to do as well that doesn't revolve around drinking.

I was thinking of maybe taking up painting or something but I'm not particularly arty, something that I could do at home whilst i'm on my own would be great as my boyfriend works away so i'm alone monday to friday which are my trigger days.

I would love to hear what everyone else does even if you think it's not worth posting, please post it as I can't think of anything to do.

Thank you

P.S. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has started a thread, I think I've read all of them and it's been so helpful to me, this is a brilliant forum.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now what?

Hi, Jeans.

In addition to reading these fora, there is also Sober Recovery, lifering, and aa.org (which has the entire Big Book online. I go to fora where people discuss things I like to discuss, too--like literature and philosophy.

I've been working on learning a language, which might not be your style, but it's out there. I've also started taking online chess lessons, as getting at least passably decent at the game has been a lifelong wish of mine (and sobriety helps so much).

There's also a thread stickied in this forum that has a lengthy list of things to do instead of drink.

Welcome to the forum!

d
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Would also like to find a self help book for staying sober.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Jeans View Post
Does anyone know of any good books I can read to help me stay sober?
Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Would also like to find a self help book for staying sober.
  1. "Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction" by Jack Trimpey

2. "Overcoming Your Alcohol, Drug & Recovery Habits" by James DeSena

3. "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" by Allen Carr

4. "Under the Influence" by James R. Milam
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

I am starting over this week but went 10 months before without.

The one thing that helped me the most was coming here daily reading and posting.
The second thing that helped me was a strong exercise and diet regime.
This is the focus of my plan this time.
United we stand and divided we fall.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeans and Happy New Year everyone You'll find tons of great advice and encouraging words on this site. For me a great book to read when I need some sobering thoughts (bad pun totally intended) is the Big Book. Sometimes even just reading one of the stories in the back of the book helps.
As for hobbies, what do you like to do or have an interest in learning to do? One thing I noticed was my capacity to pick up on something and my willingness to follow through both increased immensely now that I'm not drinking. You might find a great sense of satisfaction even trying something new for a short while. I'm taking Spanish, I've joined a book club and I'm learning to sew. I still have to remind myself it's not my job to be perfect at these things. It's so fun to have them to look forward to and to see the progress made. If you like painting, go for it!!
Wishing you all the best on your journey!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Drinking: A Love Story" Caroline Knapp is what I'm reading..
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp
Saturation by Jennifer Place
Everything I Never Wanted to Be by Dina Kucera
Unwasted by Sacha Scoblic
Out of the Rough by Laura Baugh
Lit by Mary
The Addictive Personality by Craig Nakken
Tales of Addiction and Inspiration by Barbara Sinor

The first two were my favorites. I could relate to those the most. I've found that reading has helped a great deal so far for me. Not only is it something to do, but after reading these memoirs, you'll be glad you quit.

Playing cards has helped me a lot too. Since I tend to want to do things to excess, I can keep myself occupied for hours and hours. I figure if I put the same energy towards, say working out, I'll be in top shape in no time. Haven't quite crossed that bridge yet but it's on my list. Movies are good too and your arts and crafts are a good idea. Someone once told me to think about what I enjoyed as a child before alcohol came along and these are good activities to start with.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JEANS

Thanks everyone, there's plenty of books to keep me going until 2013 by the looks of it.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Alcoholics Anonymous (the book): Big Book On Line
It's probably the most widely read and certainly the longest-lived.