Notices

Need to Vent

Old 01-01-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to Vent

Hi all-

I'm feeling a very compelling urge to vent right now. I left yesterday for vacation and although I thought I would be fine not drinking, I feel like I'm in a living hell.

Made it through New Years but as soon as I got to the hotel and saw the free bottle of champagne left for the festivities, I sent it out of the room and have been down ever since. It seems like alcohol is everywhere! Rum, wine, everywhere I look. To combat this I've been locking myself in my hotel room because it feels safer there which just makes me feel worse because I'm on vacation!! I didnt pay all this money to go on vacation just to feel self pity and lock myself in my room. Has anyone else been through this in early sobriety? Today is 13 days....

Thanks for listening and keeping me sane!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats for sending the bottle away.. I haven't been in that situation of my sobriety yet.. so I can't give you any solid advice other than to say, keep it up.. You're very very strong for making it 13 days.. being on vacation, it won't get easier .. but, you're on vacation! Go out and do something fun (other than drinking)!!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

I was just about to say what a good idea it would have been not to plan your alcohol recovery/detox for a time you would normally be celebrating with alcohol or other DOC.

Then, I remembered that I quit oxycodone last year on December 15th (2010) and spent a miserable Christmas and New Years in the midst of opiate withdrawals.

I guess there IS no good time to quit. For me, I had a dope sick holiday in 2010, but Lordy did it pay off or what this year.

I realize that is little comfort now, but I look back on my misery now as a milestone and it gave me inner strength knowing I could quit even though I was faced with everyone around me in celebration.

My biggest suggestion would be to get your butt home and back to a routine you have more control over. I made through the holidays last year. You can make it through this, too.

Next year's vacation, you can look back at this and realize it was a huge milestone for you, and proof you are stronger than you realized you were.

Hang in there.

FT
Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Inca, I'm not sure what to say to help, but please know that this is a completely normal reacton. I was very sorry for myself and resentful in the early days. Going on vacation would have been very challenging for me at 13 days - I don't know if I would've been as strong as you.

Be proud of yourself for not giving in to the temptations. You can rise above this, Inca - remember how hard you've worked to get those 13 sober days. I do feel for you, wish I had the words to help you relax & enjoy your vacation.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Inca! When Im away I find AA meetings in the local area. Its nice to know your not alone and its also interesting. When I have a group of people supprting me I can move on and enjoy my vacation a little easier.You will get to the point in sobriety where booze everywhere you turn wont upset you as much.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

What city are you in Inca?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Inca,

I agree with heatherweeds, is it possible to get to an AA meeting? What did you plan to do on this holiday? What non drinking activities are available?

I go on holidays next month and the focus is wellness.

Hang in there and go out and find some activities that will contribute to your sobriety.

Be strong
CaiHong
Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are there other things you can do on your vacation away from the drinking? Are you in a place where you can swim, hike, walk, anything like that? Or how about shopping for souvenirs?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the help and for your comments/suggestions. I'm already feeling much better and out of my "funk". It helps so much just to be able to talk about it with people who understand. I also found a couple of AA meetings in the area that I'll be checking out.