Notices

Nearly did it!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nearly did it!!!

No joke. Woke up feeling lonely and useless. Thinking about what all my friends and classmates achieved in life. Thinking about all the bad decisions I made. About all those families I saw together last night. About how I couldn't join in the fun because I have a disease called Alcoholism. About how my family is thousands of miles away. About how if I don't call home, they wouldn't call me, then proceed to ask me why I didn't call...
So I took up my wallet, got my keys and went to the car. Drove out the street, and by some divine intervention, I made a left turn instead of going straight, to the usual waterhole... Went to the store and bought myself ice cream, popcorn, snacks, fruit juice, sandwich stuff, and a couple lucozades...
I am not by any means in the clear. ALL my friends drink. So I have no one to talk too ON NEW YEAR'S DAY, other than my wife and daughter on Skype. This sucks!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning OV! Good job on last night. You are doing it one day at a time. You made it past New Years with no drink. You aren't the worst or the best my friend, just a person trying to get to the other side of alcohol issues by not drinking.

Is it worth it? If it is hard then it is not only worth it, it is long overdue. Non-alcoholics don't count the days they do or don't drink. They don't have an obsession with drinking. Many don't drink at all except times like New Years and the 4th of July in the States. And then will normally not get drunk but will stop after one or three and three was pushing it for me back in the day.

But we aren't like that anymore are we? I don't even think about drink much anymore except when posting and reading here. If it were easy you wouldn't need to quit. Folks with no drinking problem don't get withdrawal and cravings.

Can't drink and live a good life, so I gave up drink. It takes a few months to stop obsessing over it. You have a daughter, did she or does she suck her thumb? She will feel the same way as you after detox, in that she would prefer to keep on the comforting habit.m She will feel deprived for a few weeks or months and then it will be gone. Same for you, it is that simple. You just won't have someone acting the parent to insure you don't. We are gown up after all. We self monitor, possible only when sober right?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

It's great you didn't drink. Today is awesome for me having made it through last night... I don't have many people to talk with either, but I do my best not to let it get to me and coming here really helps me a lot.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks itchy. I aint going to drink man. I going to fight it, if the urge comes again. Patience isn;t one of my strong points. Looks like with this whole recovery thing, I gotta grow that part of my arsenal...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If the damn water wasn't so cold and rough this time of the year, I would head to the beach (without the beers of course)...
Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yeah you do but after a while that comes a bit more naturally. If you act like a sober man within a month you will become that sober man.

I love the Christmas decorations, they are so nice and fun to have around. Today is the day we take ours down. At first the place looks so bare so sparse so . . .clean! A one morning withdrawal from ornaments cluttering up the place.

Why not go to the beach anyway? With a jacket and a thermos of coffee or hot cocoa if sunny the beach in winter can be as nice for an hour or three as in summer.

If all you have is withdrawal all you see is deprivation. Move on as fast as you can.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so proud of you ovrock. I was in the same place last night, but I logged into the SR chat and was there from 9pm-3AM, haha, time flew! What a great group of people to spend online for new years.. stop in sometime and chat, it's a great place to be around other alcoholics in recovery.. Lets keep it up man..
Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This place is festive around this time bros. Anywhere you go there will be drinks. I dare not venture out...
Old 01-01-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

All my friends drank too ovrock - so I made some new friends - it takes time, but please don't think your life is always going to be like this.

Some friends moved away, but many of my old friends understood my problem, supported my decision and stuck around too

D
Old 01-01-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Think about how you're feeling. Now imagine being sick and hungover on top of that....... not so great, right?

I had a lot of bad days in the beginning (and a couple close calls, too). I can totally relate to having no patience and feeling overwhelmed by it all. I camped out in my bedroom with SR as much as I could. It was the only way I could get through the cravings. I wondered if I would ever be happy. I wondered if the people here who were sober had it easier than I did.

All I can tell you is that things really did get better. I haven't had one of those days in a long, long time. I'm not battling cravings anymore. I usually wake up with a good attitude. Somehow I got more patient. Problems don't shake me to the core like they used to.

I'm not unique - I just stayed sober long enough for things to change. There's no reason it won't be the same for you. Just get through today and tomorrow will come when it comes.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Ovrock,

I sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I had never drank but not for long thank God Being sober has freed me up to do things now. That being said i still need to push myself in the right direction but it gets easier.

Stay strong
Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All I gotta say is this. I am proud of myself tonight. Thank you SR!!! With all my heart..
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How's things going ovrock? I'm happy to say I'm sober today.. back at work!