Notices

How common is it to crave only one type of alcohol?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How common is it to crave only one type of alcohol?

Whiskey is definitely my weakness. I can't handle just one serving; one drink will inevitably lead to six or eight drinks.

However, I am not fond of any other type of alcohol. I hate beer, I hate wine, and I can't tolerate other liquors. Throughout my sobriety, I've had beer and wine in the refrigerator (previous gifts or leftovers from dinners held at my house), and I'm not even the tiniest bit tempted to touch them.

I know that alcoholism is alcoholism, regardless of our preferred poison, but is it common to crave only one type of alcohol?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

From myself and the folks I know, I think it is very common. As far as addiction goes we all have our DOC, drug of choice. And as long as we can get it, it seems to stay fairly stable.

But when our source is compromised it very often becomes any port in a storm. And when we get further and further into addiction any port can resort to absolutely insane and deadly substances and situations.

Some folks start out on Rx anxiety meds, assured they would NEVER...and a few years down the line are whoring the streets for any white substance that may or may not get them high or dead.

Same with booze. A refined wine drinker after a time may be sucking down the cheapest rot gut vodka just to get through the day.

I literally own the worlds finest bourbons. But when I OD'd this summer it was an empty 12 dollar bottle of whiskey they found next to me, and someones stolen oxys.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess we all have our drink of choice, but I've resorted to some nasty stuff many many times. I prefer decent vodka (Stoli every day, yes the cost added up - what a stupid waste of money) but there were many times the grocery stores closed and I had to drink whatever the gas station had. (read: Four Loko...I know, I know..)
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I guess I've heard stories of people drinking mouthwash. Surely, that wasn't their initial drink of choice.

I really want to remain sober, so I think I'll give away the beer and wine in my fridge. I won't miss it, and it's better to remove any potential temptation before it's ever an issue.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Switching addictions is SOOO common...give up drinking and start eating, smoking, etc etc.

So yeah switching types of booze, drugs, etc happens all the time.

This is why, IMO, a real system of recovery, not JUST abstinence is essential. Because if there are any serious underlying issues about why we self medicate with addiction, it's going to show up someplace else in our lives. If we address the underlying issues, we have a crack at true freedom.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As my drinking progressed, I went from beer to vodka to shooters of whiskey a 9am.

It's a progressive disease. I didn't care what I drank at the end, as long as it got me drunk.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm right with you on a DOC chuck. My normal choices were always cheap wine(E&J Gallo, Yellowtail, or Beringer), gin for martinis or straight vodka.
On the other hand we collected really nice wines for a really long time that I very rarely drank. Case in point. I have 5 bottles of wine from vineyards in Virginia that have been there since May.
We're going to give away possibly 3 but the others will remain to be used in poultry and beef dishes and then the remainder will be used to make culinary broths.
There is no way that vodka, gin, grand marnier OR cheap wine will be entering our house any time in the future. The temptation is simply to great for me.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I crave non-alcoholic Vodka so much I have it on tap at my house.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOL Itchy. Now I crave NA perrier!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seriously, I have been drinking a ton of water since I stopped imbibing alcohol! Good thing it's free.