Notices

Day 1

Old 01-01-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 1

well here we go again!, its day 1 of opiate detox. what a way to start the new year huh? i cant do this anymore, its been almost 10 years on and off using heroin and really anything opiate that i can get my hands on.i am an IV user now but it didnt start that way, i used to snort everything.one day i decided to take the plunge and go IV, worst thing i ever did.Being a drug addict is one thing but now i gotta deal with this romance i have with the needle as well.i know the sickness wont last forever but that doesnt change the way i feel right now or the way im gonna feel in the days to come.i wish there was a better way to do this but i cant afford any treatments offered in my area. anyone got any homespun remadies to help, i cant afford to even buy pepto to help with... well you guys know what im talking about.please any info would help.how long am i gonna be like this? i miss myself even though i barely remember how i used to be.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to the salvation army and ask for help. You can't do this alone. At least get some OTC stuff from them. Or go to an NA mtg and tell them what's up. You have to go get help.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR lifeofpain and congrats on starting recovery again.

At livestrong.com there is a list of home remedies for opiate withdraw, but some are OTC and cost money.

Being on a tight budget, there's not much you can do to lessen the withdraw symptoms unfortunately. But once you get through them, getting a good start in recovery will be more probable.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Would it be possible for you to go to a hospital ER and tell them what you're doing? Or do you have a dr you can call?

You will be able to get through this, and we have lots of support to offer you.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! There are a few threads on the substance abuse forum about withdrawal from opiates. You might want to check those out...you are not alone. I, too, romanced the needle for a while, and though it took time, I can now see it as a one-way street to misery. SR has been a huge part of my recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, lifeofpain -

I hope you can get some support and/or medical help..... it wouldn't hurt to call around and talk to some people. A lot of places will work with you even though they don't advertise it.

Lots of support in our substance abuse forum, too:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Sending hugs and prayers. There really is a better life out there for you......
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by lifeofpain View Post
well here we go again!, its day 1 of opiate detox. what a way to start the new year huh? i cant do this anymore, its been almost 10 years on and off using heroin and really anything opiate that i can get my hands on.i am an IV user now but it didnt start that way, i used to snort everything.one day i decided to take the plunge and go IV, worst thing i ever did.Being a drug addict is one thing but now i gotta deal with this romance i have with the needle as well.i know the sickness wont last forever but that doesnt change the way i feel right now or the way im gonna feel in the days to come.i wish there was a better way to do this but i cant afford any treatments offered in my area. anyone got any homespun remadies to help, i cant afford to even buy pepto to help with... well you guys know what im talking about.please any info would help.how long am i gonna be like this? i miss myself even though i barely remember how i used to be.
Hey there,

There are lots of people for support and lots of good recovery stories on the substance abuse forum of SR.

I agree with all the advice above. Try to get checked out to make sure you are okay. Once that's done, get set for feeling pretty sick for the first week. The 3rd and 4th days seems to be the worst, followed by a gradual return to feeling better.

Rather that repeat all that stuff here, please join us in the other forum, maybe start a new thread there, or join one you feel akin to.

We're here to help you through this. I'm over a year off oxys now, and I really feel good about that, and the hell of detox was well worth how I feel today.

Good luck. You can do this.

FT
Old 01-01-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LOP

I agree with getting some professional advice.

Apart from the ER option, there are many free or low cost clinics around these days - you may find something in your local area:

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

and this website may be able to help put you in touch with resources in your local area too

2-1-1 Call Center Search

Welcome to SR

D
Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks SR crew!

im glad there are people out there who really get what im going through.its hard when you have no one to talk to about this sort of thing.im 32 years old and have been a burden on my family for the better part of my life, legal troubles, drug addiction and a shotty work record.most of this stuff could have been avoided if i wasnt on drugs.thanks guys i think im gonna hit the ER tonight and see what they can do for me.i hate myself for being an addict.thanks guys!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I think your plan to go to the ER is a great one. In my 20's, I got addicted to Vicodin after a horse accident that broke 2 of my vertebrae. In those days, doctors were very liberal about prescribing the stuff so every time I asked for a refill, I got one. Soon I was taking 20 of them a day, even when I no longer needed them for pain. Finally, one night, I took so many that I spent an entire evening throwing up and generally feeling awful. The next day, I threw all my pills away and decided that was enough. But the withdrawal was terrible. It finally went away after a few days, but in retrospect I wish I'd gone to the ER or another doctor and let them help me detox. I think it will be good for you to do it the safe, medical way, and you will feel much better too. It still won't be easy, but you can do it with the right emotional and medical support. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hope you'll let us know how it went, Lifeofpain. Please be kind to yourself. You've taken a step towards ending the insanity - that's something to be proud of. Many never see what they're doing to themselves until it's too late.