Notices

Smoking in meetings?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Smoking in meetings?

Hey all,

I've been to three meetings now (4 days sober, yay!) and I am really enjoying them and getting a lot out of them. But I find myself dreading going to them because of all the smoking. I have had reactive airway disease (sorta like asthma) since birth and even after the meeting starts and people come inside (or close the door to the 'smoking room', the smell is so overwhelming it makes me nauseous.

I've been to three different meeting places. In two of them there was smoking not in the main room but in an adjacent room, and in the other meeting there was actually smoking during the meeting. Is this normal? I've never seen so much smoking in my life. I'm worried that if I keep going to these I'm either going to get sick or start smoking myself. I'm not judging, just wondering if there are truly non-smoking meetings if I look hard enough, or if what I've seen is the norm. I need to stay sober either way, and it's hard enough getting to meetings without the added stress of coughing through the whole thing lol.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's kind of weird.. I've never been to a meeting that allowed smoking.. in fact the meeting I normally attend, they won't even let you smoke in the parking lot of the Church, lol..

Find another meeting?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
That's kind of weird.. I've never been to a meeting that allowed smoking.. in fact the meeting I normally attend, they won't even let you smoke in the parking lot of the Church, lol..

Find another meeting?
Okay, cool. I will keep hopping around then. I guess I've just had bad luck picking meetings so far.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

WTG on your 4 days, it gets a lot better.

There is only 1 out of 6 of the AA meetings (somewhat) near me which allow smoking and I am supprised that even 1 allows it (City anti-smoke law.)
Old 12-31-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Maryland does not allow smoking now. I remember when we did....couldn't see much...

Look for NS non-smoking meetings. Try calling your intergroup office.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Closetalckie
I am glad you are enjoying the meetings. I think your concerns are warrented. As an ex smoker (we are very intolerant of smoking) I would no way attend a meeting where there was smoking in the rooms and be annoyed if I can smell the smoke in ajoining rooms.

I admire your tolerance.

All the best in your sobriety
CaiHong
Old 12-31-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've yet to see a meeting in the Chicago area that allows indoor smoking. Despite the fact that I do smoke, I'd probably dislike a smoking meeting. I don't blame you!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Never been to one that didn't have a group outside smoking like chimneys, but never had any AA meeting where they smoked inside. However I do like the idea of a separate but inside smoking room for winter and the hot days of summer so long as the ventilation system is designed for it and separate.

But I don't smoke anymore either. And would find it difficult to understand since state law is no smoking anywhere in public buildings.

What state are you in?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember my first meeting my first day of rehab. They drove us to this clubhouse and it looked foggy inside there was so much smoke. A lot of us would have to leave for a few minutes during the meeting the smoke was so intense.

We went to that place once a week but it never got better. Could not understand how anyone stood it. Whenever a meeting allows smoking, it always is like that.