Notices

alcohol is my only friend

Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

maybe you need to look at all the things you're dissatisfied or unhappy with in your life that you've mentioned above - and try and think of positive ways to fix them?

Drinkings not a solution to any of that - it's an escape (until even that stops working) but as you know drinking brings it's own price too....

Maybe a more holistic view of things might help?

D
Old 01-01-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i stayed sober last night btw
Old 01-01-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Then why do want to quit soberbrah?

D
cuz i pee my pants. and it throws my diet off. and messes up my workout routine. and amplifies my depression and anxiety
Old 01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrah View Post
makes me feel good
Feelings come and go, though. What can you do to improve your situation? It sounds like you're going to meetings, correct? Is there anything you're doing to address the depression and anxiety?

There's no doubt alcohol can make you feel good -- but it doesn't change anything. It sounds to me like you're longing for something that won't be found through drinking, so why not look elsewhere?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah, I changed my post - I got my answer reading your first post again

D
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
HappyHeartJoy

Only you can make the change. It won't just happen for you. Try one new thing every day. Go for a walk or go visit a museum that you haven't been to before. May not be you cup of tea but you never know until you try. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

been addressing the anxiety/depression for years brah
Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've been there. Your not alone soberbrah.
I use alcohol to help with the lonliness, depression, anxiety.
Best advice I can give after 10 years of doing that--- It doesn't actually work!!!
Good luck man! I'm pulling for you.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

cuz i pee my pants. and it throws my diet off. and messes up my workout routine. and amplifies my depression and anxiety
Okay so you say this is why you want to quit. None of the above would make that "warm fuzzy" feeling that appealing to me. Just saying.....

I hope you know at some point alcohol won't feel good anymore and you will feel betrayed by it. I wish you all the best and I'm glad you stayed sober last night.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thumbs down

Oops
Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hmmmm. Cause, symptom, cause, symptom..Which is it? It makes one wonder. When it comes to alcoholism we often turn to the very cause of our problems as an effort to relieve them. Alcohol ruins our life so we turn to alcohol for comfort because it's the only way we know. It's a sad situation. We make excuses for our alcoholism and we try to justify the problem any way we can. We lie to ourselves and others in defense of ourselves and our issues. My first thought is "Stockholm Syndrome" where we defend and protect our captors at whatever cost. What's even weirder is I went to Google to find a link and the first hit was Soberrecovery in the F&F forum. Read all about it here! The gist of the post was the defense of our alcoholic behavior by our loved ones but it shouldn't be limited to that. In this case Alcohol is our captor. We'll defend it to the death. That's the reason one alcoholic can't BS another alcoholic. We see right through the lies. Save the excuses for the less seasoned, be honest with yourself and set a course to put this behind you. Unless you like it. I assume if you did you wouldn't be here.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi there, that is a sad story. But it can get a lot worse, even if you dont realize this yet. Stop drinking now before it does. And Anna is right, you have to change and exercise change in order to get out of this. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jallen83 View Post
I've been there. Your not alone soberbrah.
I use alcohol to help with the lonliness, depression, anxiety.
Best advice I can give after 10 years of doing that--- It doesn't actually work!!!
Good luck man! I'm pulling for you.
thanks brah
23 days into sobriety and today feeling better

the meeting this morning really hit me when they talked about mental obsession -> physical compulsion and i could identify with it

because I truly am obsessed with my thinking towards alcohol, everything i think about resolves around when my next drink is going to be and where and how awesome it is going to be

im already obsessing about going to Ireland in February and wanting to drink there and going on spring break in march and wanting to drink there

i just gutta think things through thoroughly, and if i can resist drinking on those two trips I can do anything I put my mind to

and I found out recently that I have a prostate infection which caused the discontinence whilst passed out drunk, but that really has taken its toll on me big time, you wouldnt even believe some of the stuff