Notices

Am I Wrong?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I Wrong?

My husband and I were getting food for NYE and I wanted to get a bottle of sparkling grape juice. My point being, I've been passed out and in bed early on the past countless NYE's and I thought it would be fun to have a non-alcoholic toast at midnight. My husband told me that it was pathetic that I was looking for an "alcohol substitute," when that wasn't the case AT ALL. Lord knows, we're sneaky enough that if I wanted alcohol tonight I'd find a way to get it.

I told him he hurt my feelings and I didn't get the sparkling grape juice but he's standing by his thoughts that I was looking for a substitute.

I'm still a little upset. I was rather proud of myself for being happy with grape juice.

Am I missing a point or did he overreact? What is the harm in grape juice?? I wasn't even THINKING of champagne.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

How long have you been sober?

It takes a while for the people we've hurt to trust us again

I get that your intentions were pure (I have a bottle in my fridge!) but it's OK if he doesn't trust you yet.

I would venture a guess that he didn't blow up over the bottle of grape juice but over years of alcoholic betrayal, YK?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

You are right

Hes over-reacting. A non-alcoholic beverage is an excellent substitute for a NYE toast. Please enjoy.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well he didn't have to analyze you that's for sure but I would assume there is fear behind his words. This year I'd let him have his way even though it's an overreaction - in my opinion. "Pathetic" is NEVER a good word to use with a women! LOL. Let it go, it's not worth spending your time on. Maybe tomorrow or on a non-football (LOL) day you can ask him what the deal was with such a strong response.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=1undone;3224137] "Pathetic" is NEVER a good word to use with a women! LOL.QUOTE]

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I went through a similar situation with my husband, though he didn't say anything. He just gave me a look. It was very early in recovery and someone had given us a bottle of sparkling juice for an anniversary. It really fell flat and I've never wanted to do it again. I don't want to remind my husband of my drinking days and the process of opening the bottle and all, just wasn't a good idea.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

This made me smile a little...not at your expense, flamingredhair...remembering a new year's eve celebration when my husband saw me holding a champagne glass full of ginger ale. We were at a party with lots of people but this did not stop him from racing across the room, grabbing the glass from my hand and running off with it. I was mighty mad at him and we had a fight about it because even after realizing I wasn't drinking champagne, he thought I had no business holding a champagne glass. Silly, right? I thought so then and still do, but then again I did put him through an awful lot.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
This made me smile a little...not at your expense, flamingredhair...remembering a new year's eve celebration when my husband saw me holding a champagne glass full of ginger ale. We were at a party with lots of people but this did not stop him from racing across the room, grabbing the glass from my hand and running off with it. I was mighty mad at him and we had a fight about it because even after realizing I wasn't drinking champagne, he thought I had no business holding a champagne glass. Silly, right? I thought so then and still do, but then again I did put him through an awful lot.
Well, we talked about it when we got home. I told him I was going to run it by SR, lol. I can see both sides when I really think about it now and he DID apologize so we're good.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

wow. I agree with hubby. have you looked into your part at all?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Compare this to my family... [While Drinking] ... "You know, TU, it's really great that you gave up drinking... how did you do it?" [Glug, Glug] ... "oh, and look at these bottles of Rum we picked up in the Caribbean..."
Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Flamingred, I am glad he apologized. I think it was an over reaction. I have to take your side in this. It's New Year's Eve and we are sober! That is huge!

Sparkle away, I say!

Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At first I would have said total over reaction but I think some valid points were raised.

Happy new Years!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

He had a point but could have chosen his words more carefully. In any case, it's all blown over.

And I AM sober for the first NYE I can remember in a VERY long time.