Notices

What Do You Do When You Don't Do What You Used To Do?

Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Do You Do When You Don't Do What You Used To Do?

Today I held my dog and reread the Little Prince

"Grown-ups love figures. When you tell them that you have made a new friend, they never ask you any questions about essentail matters. They never say to you, “What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies?” Instead, they demand: “How old is he? How many brothers has he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make?” Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him."

200 some daze ago I didn't know how to figure. At the end of the story I kind of cried, mostly by the death of the author. Then my puppy licked me and it was far better than booze though still smelled bad. I would like to know how people do, I want to learn and try new things. I tried a yoga thing and got a calf ache from hell.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I became active and started to really enjoy what I had in life and what was around me. Embracing sobriety is such a beautiful thing.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Fitz,

Good post. I am 4.5 months sober after a four year bender. I moved to Austin from Atlanta, where I had lived for 30 years and loved it. I was sober when I moved to Austin, and relapsed immediately (go figure). I did manage to get a decent job with the State, I bought a house, etc. I have friends from work that I do a few things with, and have never had trouble making friends, but I am just isolating myself at home. It is starting to get better though.....I am a big time gardener, and I plan to really work on the yard this weekend (well, I hope I do) and I got my dogs groomed last week and I am going to take some pics of them. I am beginning to get that you get what you give....and that includes helping yourself. I used to love to decorate and marathoned for years and years (uh.....that was a while ago) and I am giving yoga another try. May join a health club, and go before work (they are 24 hours). I am making this about me....sorry. What I am trying to say is really think of what would make you happy...and take action. You gotta take action. (I already tried the other route and got nowhere fast....however I was just freaked out that I wasn't drinking I had no energy for anything else, I guess.) Or maybe just give yourself some time....I thought about it awhile before I found some small things that I wanted to do. (It doesn't have to be a big thing.) One thing I sure don't want to do is date!!!! (I wouldn't want to subject someone to my current state of ponderment.) Remember, I am no expert. This advice is my opinion/experience only.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I do what I want when I want, and enjoy the time in between wants when I don't. I walk the pups, tend the land, work in my shop, visit friends, shop but don't buy as I have everything and am letting go of much of it. I watch some TV and have very fun exchanges with my wife and lover of 39 years. She has spoiled me rotten the whole time, because i did the same to her, she was just getting even. Living well is the best revenge you see.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When the phone rings at night I don't worry that it's one of my kids and their car has broken down. I'm sober so I can get in my car and go help them.

That may sound like a little thing, but what it really means is that people can count on me. That wasn't always the case before.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Life has a depth I was too self-absorbed to miss, much less desire while I was drinking.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Zebra, that isn't a small thing. I was the same, and having to be driven or call a taxi was just not cool. NO issue now.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Fitz,
I bought a copy of The Little Prince months ago because it had a Chinese/English translation, thought it would be a good present for one of my students. This was early in sobriety, I remember the planet inhabited by "the tippler". Will read it again.
Like your good self I to need to start filling my life, I am underemployed I suppose but I sort of like that. Think of things you would like to do, don't think of things that may stop you from doing them ie money ect.
Then get back to us.

Fitz this is going to be a great year
CaiHong