Notices

aa meeting today

Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

aa meeting today

Hi every one!!

Just need a bit of encouragment for my aa meeting later. I get very nervous b 4 hand and my isolating tendancies flair up which brings on the exscuses not to go etc etc. But I want a life and I want my life to change and I am starting to get the aa concept. Does any one have any tips or words of wisdom to help me manage this anxiety b 4 a meeting?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Say a little prayer...Pray for calmness...It can't hurt. And then just sit back and listen...Remember these people are exactly like you...They want the same thing you want...And if they already have what you want...They want to help you get it. What more can you ask for?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too suffer anxiety sometimes.I found out that I am not alone;that a large number of people at the meetings are nervous too.The more you go the easier it will get.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Do you get nervous walking into a bar or a pub you've never been to? Probably not, right? Well guess where alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll l those ppl in AA used to hang out? It helped me to think of it as walking into a place chuck full of ppl I'd typically see at a bar.

That said, it's common to be nervous be4 your first meeting. I sure as hell was. I'll tell ya what though, I've yet to hear of anyone go to their first AA meeting and say anything other than "it was cool, not what I expected, I'm glad I went")

Near the beginning of the meeting there will be some readings and some announcements. They'll ask for anyone who's at their first meeting to raise their hand and introduce themselves. I always use my first and last name at closed AA meetings - as does everyone in my line of sponsorship....but if you're uncomfortable with that, feel free to just use your first name.

For me, I was way too self-conscious, nervous, and what-not to raise my hand and introduce myself. Instead, I lied and said I'd been to other meetings around town. I wouldn't recommend that approach....I REALLY would advise against doing what I did.

Initially, just about everyone goes to find out IF they're an alcoholic -to see IF the AA program and to see IF the meetings are something that will help them. Try to set aside any pre-judgements (any prejudices) and keep as open a mind as you can.

You'll probably be invited to talk......you don't have to if you don't want to. You're free to pass if you'd prefer. That said, part of what helps the recovery process is getting honest (which made my lying at tables a detriment to my recovery) and for many of us AA meetings are one of the first times we get really honest - I'd recommend trying that out.......even though you may be nervous about it.

Finally, understand that all of "them" (ppl like me who've been in AA for a while) have been EXACTLY where you are, we know exactly how you feel, and we really want to do whatever we can to help you get whatever it is you need by being there. The whole program was built around helping someone else.....

Feel free to ask any questions here that you'd like or, if you'd prefer, feel free to private message me.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some tips if you want to make it a good experience:

If you drink at all beforehand to calm yourself you won't be able to hear anything. Get there 15 minutes early and shake some hands and let the people know you're new, they will make you comfortable if you do. If called on you can talk or pass, no pressure either way. Stay the whole meeting even if you need to sit on your hands. After the meeting force yourself to hang out and talk with people of your sex. If a group is going to coffee after invite yourself along. Leave time open for whatever happens and don't schedule things to be done 10 minutes after the meeting.

Understand the people there that look so comfortable each were wrecks going into their first meeting and know well what you are feeling.

It's almost universal to sit in your car and do an internal debate about this momentous occasion that is chock full of incredible drama. That's your head talking and isn't the least meaningful. Get out of the car and walk in with your head up.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does any one have any tips or words of wisdom to help me manage this anxiety b 4 a meeting?

Yes.

Go to a lot of meetings, the more you do something the less nervous you will be. A side effect of this strategy is that you may find it easier to stay sober too.