Notices

Finally Done This Time!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Done This Time!!!

Hi -

New here....figure it's time to get in on the posting action.

I'm on my 9th day sober AGAIN! Tried numerous times to quit on my own, went to outpatient treatment last year, relapsed, went back to outpatient again about three months ago, relapsed, checked myself into inpatient and yea! Finally 45 days sober in a row. Most I've had in about 12 years.

Then the weirdest thing happened....at about day 35, I started to get this nagging feeling. I was feeling soooo much better, the anxiety and depression left for the most part, and I lost 15lbs. Then the nagging feeling that life is boring without drinking and I'm totally missing out. It was almost like things were going TOO well and there wasn't any chaos in my life so I wanted to create some. This built up for about a week until SNAP!!! I had a particularly annoying day of work and drove straight to a bar to have a couple.

Right before xmas, I took a look back at the prior two weeks and wanted to smack myself. In two weeks, TWO WEEKS!! I had gone from those first two glasses of wine back to 3 bottles a day. When I realized that, I stopped again and went through a hell of a hangover for 4 days.

I don't ever want to go through that again! It really is like starting over and the withdrawals are SOOO much worse after you quit. I decided I needed to step it up a little on the meetings, step work, sponsorship, recovery reading, ANYTHING that will get this to not only sink in (it has), but stick in my thick and stubborn head. I know what to watch for now if I start getting squirly (I think) Anyways, thanks for reading and if you have any good recovery book recommendations, I'm taking them!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Inca,

I'm three minutes from day four, so I'll step back for the more experienced folks after I first say that your determination is impressive and inspiring. You came back and are trying again, adding new tools and learning from your slips. While asking for help your post helps me realize what might trip me up down the line. thank you for posting.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous....
Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi inca...Welcome to SR. 45 days is an accomplishment! Thank you for posting. Many individuals say the same as you. The starting over process being worse after having a certain number of days without alcohol.

I have only been here since November and am new to recovery, but have found many of the posts useful and enlightening. Many posts made by different individuals say the same thing so you will see yourself in these posts.

As for books, well there ones most commonly mentioned in the forums are the big book, rational recovery, and the easy way to stop drinking. I also recently read a book by Caroline Knapp called drinking: a love story which was good.

Keep reading and posting. Lots of support here.

Jim
Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi inca. Good job on your realizations about sobriety. I know I don't have another "do-over" in me. I am so very thankful to be sober~over 9 mo now.

Your plan sounds good, extra meetings & reading, etc. I think it also can help to keep a notebook or even just a couple note cards with you that have your own personal notes about alcoholism with you. It can be inspirational stuff or even just notes on the horrors of your last drunk or withdrawal...

Best wishes to you for a sober 2012
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Inca.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good that you're still trying, keep it up.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, and wish you all the best
Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for all the support. I know I'll be visiting here often. I have read many posts and always learn something insightful and enlightening.

As for books...I do have the Big Book which I have read cover to cover, and Caroline Knapp's book "A Love Story" is great. I really seem to enjoy the memoirs as I can see a part of me in all of them. Saturation by Jennifer Place is a favorite of mine. The amount of detail and insanity she goes into about addiction and her relapses is heartbreaking and really makes you think. I have to wonder if non addicts pick up these books and think "I don't get it" but I totally relate.

Again thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Inca

Thanks for sharing that - I remember how quick the backslide was for me too - terrifying really.

glad you've decided to join us

D
Old 12-30-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Hi, I relapsed again and still feel hungover and withdrawing its been a week. Good news is this will be my first sober new years in 20 years. Looks like we are in the same boat so lets keep rowing!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Inca.

Don't forget to join the December 2011 class thread if you think it will help.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, now you know for sure where it leads Inca. This never has to happen to you again. You'll know enough to not sabotage yourself by thinking you can have 'a couple'. No such thing as a couple for us. Life is not more fun or exciting when we numb ourselves with alcohol - that's just a lie we've told ourselves.

You sound ready to do this Inca, and we are here for you to lean on. 2012 can be your year of getting healthy again - you don't need that poison. Congrats on your 9 days!