Notices

Day #3 Anxiety off the charts.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Day #3 Anxiety off the charts.

Hey everyone.

I keep on having anxiety attacks, but you know, my worst day is always the third day. I have no Idea why. I figured it would be the first or the second, but it never is.

I keep on thinking about how easy it would be to go get a case to drink to get rid of the anxiety, if only momentarily.

I wanted to go for a run, but my running shoes busted open, and I just dont have the money for any more. So I can clean, but my house is almost spotless, so I really am at a loss.

I dont really want to engage contact with anyone, because I am way too irritable for all of that. Anyone have any suggestions that doesnt involve interacting with other people? I want to be able to beat this, but I cant just sit around twidlding my thumbs either. Any input would be great, as I dont know how to control this horrible anxiety. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dom, my fellow day 3 friend. I know, I've had one panic attack today, smoked over a pack of cigarettes and have been jumping out of my skin. I've killed some time today reading a book, doing core exercises on the floor and watching some movies on netflix. Next I'm going to rearrange furniture again, at least that will tire me out physically. Is there something around the house you can make a project out of? Any weird thing that is broken that you can fix?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That anxiety is tough Dominica. I've been going thru that lately along with the depression. It comes in waves, be ok for a couple of days then, bam! Do you like to read?
Go for a walk or just sit outside. I do some gardening when the weather permits. Writing? Watch a movie? Go to the park? Draw?
It will get better.
God bless.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dominica,

I know exactly how you feel. Usually for me, the third day is the worst as well. I have done a lot of research online about alcohol withdrawals and they say that the 48-72 hour period (the third day) is typically the hardest. In people with severe withdrawals that is when they are most likely to experience DTs or seizures. I recommend going to your doctor. They can prescribe you, if necessary, some anti-anxiety medication to help you get through the withdrawals. I was going through the same thing a few days ago and finally went on Tuesday. I got Clonazepam and a beta blocker. I am using them very carefully though because people can easily abuse them effectively replacing alcohol with them.

What I like to do to keep my mind off the anxiety is watch some sitcoms. Something light-hearted, with lots of small jokes. Or funny movies. And playing video games is also a huge part of what I do. I'm used to being by myself so entertaining myself is pretty easy. Consider getting a Netflix membership. I think they have a free one-month trial, if I remember correctly. I watch Netflix all the time when I'm anxious.

Good luck, and just remember that it will go away. Just another few days and it will get better. Oh and keep us updated!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Her Dom! I read web comics sometimes. Ragecomics is my current laugh factory. Two Lumps is funny if you like cats. I watch funny movies. B Horror movies are fun! Goofy movies amuse me. Thankskilling is about an ancient killer turkey. Not for watching with kids around (opening scene is a minute of bare boobs) but ut's horribly funny. I like to color with markers. There are lots of neat things you can print out online. Coloring intricate patterns involves a fair bit of mindless concentration. It's kinda Zenlike.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agree with those suggesting creative outlets and reading. Both activities can take me to another place in my mind.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great ideas here Dom - and this site has some breathing exercises and lot of other strategies you may find useful...

Calm Clinic

D
Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
I keep on having anxiety attacks, but you know, my worst day is always the third day. I have no Idea why. I figured it would be the first or the second, but it never is.
I used to have many three days off and back on cycles, so I think it takes about 4-5 days for the poison to flush out completely. Hang in there.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

-hot hot baths
take a book with you and stay in till yer a prune.
-caffeine free tea. I prefer Sleepytime.
-cry
-definitely get on Netflicks! Or go to Fox network or any of the CBS/NBC/ABC for shows that are free.
-stretch out on the floor
-write a bunch of replies on here if you can. There's always something going on in one of the forums. Maybe stick to the ones toward the bottom. I think it's called the Cafe?
-play online games ....and if you want to work yourself into a lather of frustration, go into the Arcade section on here. ;-)
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

AngelwithWings
I LOVE Sleepytime tea! I drink the Sleepytime Extra with Valarian root extract. Puts me right to bed and so soothing.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks y'all. I will fix my daughters closet door, smoke a bunch of ciggarettes, make dinner and read a book or play my second life video game lol. I just need to take my mind off of this anxiety, I just have a lot of things that trigger me at home. If I could, I wouldn't even go home, i would stay in a hotel for about a week, no joke. But thanks for all the great suggestions. You guys rock. I go to the Dr. in 2 weeks for my anxiety, hopefully it will ease up there.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Utube can be pretty entertaining..
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Dominica, I hope you were able to successfully distract yourself today! I had some fun vacuuming the couches and repainting old picture frames.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

can't you use other shoes? I exercise in any shoes if needs be, although my feet don't appreciate it.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I second the Utube, if you haven't seen them some of my favorites you can search for,

Ferrets (dark humor warning)
LLamas with hats 1-4 (dark humor warning)
my favorite martian (funny songs)
FPS russia (if you like guns)
Dick Figures (especially panda hat (making fun of ridiculous binge drinking warning))

Just some stuff that might give you a laugh glad to see you are giving it another go.

(Warning on the llamas with hats and ferrets I have a rather dark sense of humor sometimes if you don't like that kind of thing you might not want to watch it, but honestly I find it hillarious)

INH
Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I too have felt that anxiety. I know that drinking will relieve it for only a short time and then I'll have huge regrets and guilt over losing my sobriety. So what do I do?...GO TO A MEETING!!!. I find that the craving goes away when I go to meetings. It may only be for a short while - but it is better than drinking.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you feeling Dom? I hope you made it through ok. I'm pulling for you. It took me 7 days this last time before I wasn't having severe anxiety, tremors. Vodka is the devil I tell you. It gets better. I promise.