Notices

TOPIC: "I Don't Do A.A."

Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Murrill--

The critique sessions were never formal, but if you expressed doubt or admitted to wanting to use, someone would approach you after the meeting to explain that such talk does not have a place in a meeting where experience, strength, and hope are to be shared. They called that living in the problem rather than the solution. To me, though, it just seemed like being honest.

I tried to be more upbeat and positive, but as time went on it got harder and harder.

I think any program of recovery has to deal with the negative feelings that come with addiction as well as the positive ones. I did hear a lot about how everyone's life was better since they were in the program and doing the steps. But I think that I did not need salesmanship to convince me--I was already there. I needed a little handholding, maybe some encouragement. Looking back, I see that I needed someone (or maybe a bunch of someones) to talk to me, listen to my experience, share theirs--not talking to a roomful of people but me individually.

Eventually, I found a good therapist and that has been a big help. My recovery is built on the principles of rigorous honesty, connection to something larger than myself, ongoing self examination, and service to others. But I developed this through a relationship with my therapist. It seems to me similar to what one is supposed to arrive at through the steps, but reading a book, hearing speeches at meetings, and leaving weekly check-ins on my sponsor's voicemail were not enough to get me there. I needed another human to do it.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I enjoy reading others views and opinions as i am learning to be tolerant, kind, and loving to all other people. I work the program of "AA" because it works for me. Whatever works for someone else is just as awesome in my opinon. If you can keep from the drink then congrats!! However i have relapsed in the past on my journey through sobriety so i KNOW the only thing that works for me is working all 12 steps in the program of AA and keeping a consious contact with my HIGHER power. Im thankful for those rooms and the fellowship. I also have to keep an open mind. If i let my old judgemental ways creep back up then im in trouble of another drink. Thank you all for giving me a chance to practice my new way of life =)
Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by zbear23
Like baking a cake....if I change the recipe, the result may not be so awfully good.<G>
I often change the recipe, zenbear, because what is delicious to me may not be delicious to you. The key is, no matter if you follow the recipe as it is written and I put together my ingedients without measuring (as my grandmother did) we both end up with a delicious cake. What's really cool is that we can even sit down together and each enjoy our respective cakes over a cup of coffee.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I get frustrated by people who aren't even willing to give AA a shot, mostly just because it's a program that has worked for so many people; I don't know why you wouldn't want to go to a few meetings and see if it works for you or not. To automatically say no without even giving it a fair shake seems a little arrogant at best, or at worst an excuse to keep drinking.

It seems that 90% of people that dismiss AA right off the bat do so simply because of their preconceived notions without actually giving the program a shot. That's the main thing I'm always trying to communicate: it may or may not be helpful for you but at least try a few meetings and see if it's something you would find helpful or not. I never have bought into the "AA is the only way" mindset, and the more time I spend in recovery the more I am beginning to see that there are many different paths to recovery.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
I get frustrated by people who aren't even willing to give AA a shot, mostly just because it's a program that has worked for so many people; I don't know why you wouldn't want to go to a few meetings and see if it works for you or not. To automatically say no without even giving it a fair shake seems a little arrogant at best, or at worst an excuse to keep drinking.

It seems that 90% of people that dismiss AA right off the bat do so simply because of their preconceived notions without actually giving the program a shot. That's the main thing I'm always trying to communicate: it may or may not be helpful for you but at least try a few meetings and see if it's something you would find helpful or not. I never have bought into the "AA is the only way" mindset, and the more time I spend in recovery the more I am beginning to see that there are many different paths to recovery.
I agree that folks who want to quit drinking should check out AA as one of the options available to them. They should also check out SMART Recovery, read up on AVRT/Rational Recovery, read Allen Carr's book, educate themselves about craving-reduction medications and the Sinclair method--they should know that they have options and what those options are.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
I get frustrated by people who aren't even willing to give AA a shot, mostly just because it's a program that has worked for so many people; I don't know why you wouldn't want to go to a few meetings and see if it works for you or not. To automatically say no without even giving it a fair shake seems a little arrogant at best...
Same reason you aren't likely to give Islam a fair shake and see if it works for you, even though it works for so many people (~ 1.57 billion). Why don't you go to a few services and keep an open mind, eJoshua? Maybe try a few different mosques if the first 250 don't work out for you? To automatically say "no" without giving Islam a fair shake seems a little... how did you put it?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Same reason you aren't likely to give Islam a fair shake and see if it works for you, even though it works for so many people (~ 1.57 billion). Why don't you go to a few services and keep an open mind, eJoshua? Maybe try a few different mosques if the first 250 don't work out for you? To automatically say "no" without giving Islam a fair shake seems a little... how did you put it?
What makes you think I haven't?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I agree that folks who want to quit drinking should check out AA as one of the options available to them. They should also check out SMART Recovery, read up on AVRT/Rational Recovery, read Allen Carr's book, educate themselves about craving-reduction medications and the Sinclair method--they should know that they have options and what those options are.
Yes, that is the other side of the coin. Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I thought we were about support on SR not a pissing contest, if you're sober, want to be sober or someday want to be sober here is SR its about Sober Recovery however we find it. I guess this the kind of thread that makes me not like this kind of thread. Love peace and understanding.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok, I think it's time to draw the curtain on this one guys.
There's a lot of newcomers out there who'll be glad of this level of interest and passion.

Happy 2012, and peace love and happiness to everyone - no matter how we may get there

D