SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Years survival tips (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/244606-new-years-survival-tips.html)

StPeteGrad 12-29-2011 09:39 AM

New Years survival tips

The last big hurrah will be here in just a few days. It's time to make plan to keep yourself safe if you need to leave the house and be around alcohol. My sponsor with 24 years sobriety shares this before every holiday.

1. Know who's going to be at the party before you go.

Determine whether it is general socialization or a drunk fest. Recovering alcoholics don't belong at drunk fests.

2. Drive yourself.

If and when things start getting "wierd" you can leave. This is not the time to be a designated driver responsible for the safety and joy of others. Your own sobriety comes first.

3. Never leave your drink. There are idiots out there that think spiking a person's drink is funny. They don't realize this is a matter of life or death with us.

4. Drink only clear drinks. You will more likely know if your drink has been tampered with.

5. Have your phone ready. Call people you know if things get weird and you start getting "weird."

6. Remember that your own sobriety comes before anyone and anything. Without sobriety we are of little use to others.

Best thing of all - participate in sober activities with others in recovery.

overthis 12-29-2011 09:42 AM

Very good advice, thank you for sharing.

FHB1 12-29-2011 02:46 PM

Thanks for the advice! I think this year I'm going to try to talk my wife into staying home and letting me cook her a nice dinner. With only 140 days of sobriety under my belt, New Year's Eve just scares the hell out of me!!

artsoul 12-29-2011 06:37 PM

Great tips! :tyou

least 12-29-2011 06:46 PM

I plan to stay home and off the roadways.:yikes: Don't want to be out driving when there are lots of drunks on the road. No thanks. I'm staying in and watching movies and giving the doggies treats.:)

I think this year I'm going to try to talk my wife into staying home and letting me cook her a nice dinner.

That sounds really nice. If I were your wife I'd really like that idea.:)

Dee74 12-29-2011 07:38 PM

I think staying home is always a good option - it's my speed these days :)

D

Zebra1275 12-29-2011 07:42 PM

7. Stay home and watch Dick Clark.

MsJax 12-29-2011 07:48 PM

For people who are going out~always get your own drinks, or better, (if you are at a house party) bring your own special water or juice. Don't trust others & don't leave your drink sitting around.

I'm staying home with the pets!

StPeteGrad 12-29-2011 09:59 PM

We have a speaker night at our end of month birthday meeting at my home group so I'll be out from 7:30-10:00 (I'm chairing so I'm opening and cleaning up). Then it's straight home.

I was a very good drunk driver since I did it everyday. NYE is amateur night!

ulfr 12-30-2011 12:04 AM

We are staying at home this year ...most likely to be on line for most of the night ...apart from the bells ...

StPeteGrad 12-31-2011 02:31 PM

bump