Notices

Hobbies, Triggers, and Passions

Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Programmer: My husband is gamer nerd too! He's not a drinker so doesn't associate. But I do know he waivers between PC games and consoles. So what about changing that up? I wonder if the change would do something for you?

Munchkin: I cook too! I'm a little worried about my upcoming sobriety as I drink while cooking. Can you suggest an alternative? Should I take my own advice and try a new kind of cooking? I'm a creative cook. Maybe I should try pastries as I never cook that stuff.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Programmer: My husband is gamer nerd too! He's not a drinker so doesn't associate. But I do know he waivers between PC games and consoles. So what about changing that up? I wonder if the change would do something for you?

Munchkin: I cook too! I'm a little worried about my upcoming sobriety as I drink while cooking. Can you suggest an alternative? Should I take my own advice and try a new kind of cooking? I'm a creative cook. Maybe I should try pastries as I never cook that stuff.
Yeah I just busted out my computer to play the new star wars game. It's been holed up since I moved, but now is a good time to start playing something new lol. INH I never was a big RTS fan, the closest thing I play is DOTA or League of Legends. I played a tad bit of Warcraft 3 back in the day... heck I still have it somewhere.

Can't wait for Diablo III UGH
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I think Worlds of Warcraft is my husband's latest thing. Isn't there a new one? I used to play Diablo!!! Love that game. Halo was so fun but I suck at these games and the kids/military/gamer folks just shot me down!

Do you have a console then? If so, you could do something silly like the Just Dance. That's my thing. LOL
Old 12-30-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Prog...... I almost forgot... sheesh...

Since you mentioned you're in AA, it's safe for me to say:

The more I got involved in my own recovery - ie, the mature I tried to become, the more diligently I tried to understand and then apply the 12 steps, the more I worked at my willingness to set aside old beliefs and the more I focused on trying to walk the spiritual program of action that we learn to do in AA......... the more quickly that old compulsion to drink (ie "triggers") went away.

Like you're probably learning, "when the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically." It seemed improbable that if I focused on a God of my understanding (often, it's a God of my misunderstanding....but that's another post - lol), that my financial life, my sex life, my physical fitness life, and so on would be "fixed" as well......but that's exactly what happens.

After the 10th step, there are some promises for the folks who are willing to work up to and through the 10th.... They include things like: "ceased fighting alcohol, seldom interested in liquor, if tempted we recoil, we don't have to avoid temptation (ie triggers), placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected, and we have not even sworn off...the problem has been removed."

So.... wanna do the things you enjoy, the things u used to do a lot of drinking around, and want to do them now sober and STILL enjoy them as much as ever? Get moving through the steps.

I don't worry about triggers anymore, I don't have to limit where I can go, who I can hang around with, what I can do, the next mean thing someone says or does to me won't make me go get drunk....... I don't have to worry about any of that stuff. The problem has been removed. The absolute same is guaranteed for you as well.

Focus on more on you recovery and the games will still be there........ focus on the games and recovery may go away - along with everything else you value.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Prog...... I almost forgot... sheesh...

Since you mentioned you're in AA, it's safe for me to say:

The more I got involved in my own recovery - ie, the mature I tried to become, the more diligently I tried to understand and then apply the 12 steps, the more I worked at my willingness to set aside old beliefs and the more I focused on trying to walk the spiritual program of action that we learn to do in AA......... the more quickly that old compulsion to drink (ie "triggers") went away.

Like you're probably learning, "when the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically." It seemed improbable that if I focused on a God of my understanding (often, it's a God of my misunderstanding....but that's another post - lol), that my financial life, my sex life, my physical fitness life, and so on would be "fixed" as well......but that's exactly what happens.

After the 10th step, there are some promises for the folks who are willing to work up to and through the 10th.... They include things like: "ceased fighting alcohol, seldom interested in liquor, if tempted we recoil, we don't have to avoid temptation (ie triggers), placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected, and we have not even sworn off...the problem has been removed."

So.... wanna do the things you enjoy, the things u used to do a lot of drinking around, and want to do them now sober and STILL enjoy them as much as ever? Get moving through the steps.

I don't worry about triggers anymore, I don't have to limit where I can go, who I can hang around with, what I can do, the next mean thing someone says or does to me won't make me go get drunk....... I don't have to worry about any of that stuff. The problem has been removed. The absolute same is guaranteed for you as well.

Focus on more on you recovery and the games will still be there........ focus on the games and recovery may go away - along with everything else you value.
I have done the complete best to balance my life and find a sort of stability. To be honest, I am on step 9, but have had a lot of people tell me that I'm not completely saved, etc (bible belt christianity, not a problem for me, but it rings in my ears nonetheless). I have admitted my powerlessness... and turned myself over to a god of my understanding (which to me is some sort of sentient being that instills a sense of morality that drives most of us).

If I had to put a label on my views towards the spiritual side of things, I would simply call it humility. As a human, I'm not sure I may fully understand the inner workings of the things that are bringing peace to my life, but I know it's there, and I know it's something greater than myself. I did step 4 with my sponsor first, then my girlfriend, and finally my parents. Step 4 made a huge impact on my overall sense of well being. There were things that I said that I was not proud of, but it worked out in the end.

I guess in the end I completely agree with what you're saying. It takes some work (recovery, however you may do it), but man is it worth it. Not just because it keeps me sober, it gives me something more, a happiness that I haven't felt before. Something that actually can replace alcohol. I have found in the past that I can never stop "doing" or "recovering" somehow. Most of the time I feel the best, is when I am finished doing something to give back, improve, or help someone else. I spent a long time taking... it's time for a little payback, but I'm finding the more I pay back... the more I get back... spiritually. I paused before typing that word, but heck I guess that's the best way for me to say it.

EDIT: haha there's a lot on my mind. One major hurdle I have had in sobriety was knowing that I would never again experience the feeling of alcohol in me. The finality of it all... no more buzz, no more euphoria. That was until I volunteered for the first time. Got home took a shower, tired as heck (tearing down and rebuilding a community center) and just sat down on the couch and couldn't stop smiling. I then watched a comedy with my girlfriend and laughed harder than I had in ... probably a decade. I just couldn't stop, it was great.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Well said... make sure to check out the 12-step section of these forums too and say hi. You'll find a lot of help specific to AA over there.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Re-Member

My comments in red in your text:
. . . have had a lot of people tell me that I'm not completely saved, etc (bible belt christianity, not a problem for me, but it rings in my ears nonetheless).

I have them here too. When they come to the door I ask them to please come in so I can tell them about the one true religion and save them and they suddenly are more interested in leaving. It is polite and avoids my irritating them or them me.

If I had to put a label on my views towards the spiritual side of things, I would simply call it humility. As a human, I'm not sure I may fully understand the inner workings of the things that are bringing peace to my life, but I know it's there, and I know it's something greater than myself.

I agree completely and I don't want to understand unless it is given to me. In the meantime I do the same and it does work, regardless of motive. And don't feel guilty, because yes it makes us feel good and the more we do the better we feel and we can never get ahead of the power curve on that treadmill, and who would want to?

I spent a long time taking... it's time for a little payback, but I'm finding the more I pay back... the more I get back... spiritually. I paused before typing that word, but heck I guess that's the best way for me to say it.

Others always came along that needed me to help and mentor them so if you call it karmic balance I kept mine to the positive until the last of my drinking days. But not doing harm only lost my gains and settled accounts. Nothing was coming in because nothing was going out. My point is that even those of us that were aware of a higher power and our innate spirituality, however expressed, can be taken by alcohol if we let it.

I then watched a comedy with my girlfriend and laughed harder than I had in ... probably a decade. I just couldn't stop, it was great.
I was heavily influenced in my early years by Baruch Spinoza and still ascribe to the later philosophies of the old "glass grinder." You have outlined his views perfectly.

See, you can't help yourself. You brought a moment of joy and spiritual reflection to me with your post, and a smile to my face. I also have difficulty saying or typing that word, but "spiritual is as spiritual does," to paraphrase Another great movie line.

Very well said.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Until recently I never fully understood what the term "putting in the work" really mean't.

I'm finding a lot more joy in the journey these days, instead of the end... whereever/whatever the end may be.

When drinking, everyday is worse than the day before. Now it's my choice to do something everyday, that will make for a better tomorrow.

Thank you guys for the encouraging posts. It's made today a great day! Take care, and happy new year!