SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   am i cheating if ive been poppin some tylenol pm's (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/244550-am-i-cheating-if-ive-been-poppin-some-tylenol-pms.html)

soberbrah 12-28-2011 05:26 PM

am i cheating if ive been poppin some tylenol pm's

at night to help me sleep??????

ovrock 12-28-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by soberbrah (Post 3220741)
at night to help me sleep??????

Well if it is, I am going to cheat tonight...:a213:

Soberween 12-28-2011 05:36 PM

I'm not sure, but be careful. Acetomenophen's can be extremely hard on the liver. If you have been abusing alcohol in the past then your liver may be very sensitive and compromised so daily use of acetomenophen is not a good thing.

Xyphen 12-28-2011 05:43 PM

Soberbrah, I'm glad you asked this. Don't take Tylenol PM if you just want to sleep. Tylenol has another medicine called Simply Sleep which has no Acetaminophen in it. The only active ingredient in Simply Sleep is Diphenhydramine HCl. Just don't combine it with alcohol or you'll just end up passing out completely.

MsJax 12-28-2011 05:48 PM

I think that is a highly individual issue. For me, I do not take any sleeping meds. Period. Along with alcoholism, I had a problem with seroquel when I could get my hands on it along with any other pain or sleeping pill. So, I guess it depends if it has been a problem for you or not. I have severe menstrual issues & I take midol or excedrin for that. That's it.

Zebra1275 12-28-2011 08:00 PM

No.

I played tennis for 3 hours today and my legs are really sore. When I lay down they will be bothering me and without Tylenol PM I would have a lot of difficulty sleeping.

pbodot 12-28-2011 08:07 PM

Tylenol PM's ingredient that makes you sleep is really just an antihistamine. You can purchase just pure antihistamine tablets such as benadryl for the same sleepy effect without the pain reliever.

Threshold 12-28-2011 09:59 PM

I wrestle with this issue myself at times. There is the whole HALT issue, not to let ourselves get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired, and not sleeping can be a huge trigger for me.

I do sometimes take an antihistamine to help me sleep. If all you need is help sleeping, I'm with the others, stay away from Tylenol unless indicated for pain. It' is way harsh on the liver.

There are a lot of non medicine ways to address sleeplessness as well.

Dee74 12-28-2011 10:07 PM

We don't have tylenol here where I live, so I'm not sure whether its a actually a sleep aid or a night time pain reliever,...but I'd agree everyone needs to be careful of paracetamol/acetaminophen, particularly if you've already given your liver enough work over the years.

Also remember, over the counter stuff is not meant to be for prolonged use, so if the insomnia is chronic, please see a Dr.

and...here's a few non medical tips:

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D