Notices

New Here

Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Jamesgirl

I have to tell you, I'm very impressed with the action you are taking - well done.

The road to recovery can be a bumpy one - please don't get discouraged. Arm yourself and educate yourself with as much information, knowledge and support that you can grab on to - my recovery has included in-patient treatment, AA, meditation, reading, eating well, exercise etc - and of course, the wonderful SR site

Do whatever it takes to get yourself well - glad you have found SR - we are all here to support you - you deserve better life - now, go and get it

Big hugs
Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome jamesgirl!

You know .... you could do both AA and the IOP at the same time.

I did IOP and it did help me out a lot. I suppose some are better than others but take the good from it and grow. IOP is generally a somewhat short duration ... I did mine in the evenings I think 3 days a week so that leaves 4 other days in the week to attend an AA meeting! Then when IOP is over you could increas your AA meetings.

Just a thought.

As others have said .... I'm impressed with the actions you've taken thus far. Getting sober ain't easy but it's very doable and life saving ..... don't give up when the going gets tough!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Jamesgirl,
Aside from the rules what were they offering for IOP? I would if it were me go to it and do AA as well. Then later if one is working and the other not after a week or so of each then you can always drop one or the other or keep them both. You also made a good choice in coming here. SR helped me get sober more than a year ago. I used AA, In hospital detox, my docs, and here on SR and now pretty much just here. But for the first three months AA and here were both essential as were my Docs, my private GP and my VA GP.

Again, just my opinion, but i would try and actually use everything at your disposal. The method or activity or program you skip may be the one that would have worked for you. Besides, you have all that time you used to spend drunk to devote to them right?

Good luck and keep posting!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I went to IOP a few years ago, and for a variety of reasons didn't feel like it was a good fit for me. At the end of IOP, I knew that participants were referred on to AA, so I just dropped out of IOP and skipped ahead to AA. I was a little worried that dropping out of IOP would "look bad" especially to my wife, but it was one of the best moves I've made. I got much more involved in AA, got a sponsor and worked the steps.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Jamesgirl,

I think the warm and fuzzy is very important. I felt very vulnerable at the beginning of my sobriety and needed lots of TLC. I would do both. I think you are heading in the right direction towards a sober life. I use both AA and this forum to stay sober.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

jamesgirl - Just wanted to say hello & I, too, am impressed with the way you're taking charge of the problem. I hid my head in the sand for so long. You sound enthusiastic and determined - that's so important. I know you're looking forward to your new life.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome Jamesgirl.
I'll just tell you my experience with out patient...my life was unmanagable, my husband and I split for many reasons besides just my drinking. But I knew at the rate I was going I'd never be a productive member in society.
I called my local clinic which in turn directed me to a counseling service/out patient treatment. I called, went and they 'assessed' me. I, too, was a candidate for the out patient program. I was the only one out of about 12 that voluntarily went -the others could not grasp my thinking of wanting help on my own.
I did every session and continued on to the after care program. In the meantime, I had gotten a real job and the after care was not convenient with my new work schedule. BUT AA was. So after 'graduating' from out patient and being 'released' from after care I continued with AA until my work schedule was changed yet again.
Out patient was very beneficial to me. I learned about my addiction, what others think and feel and had a whole new twist on my journey. You have nothing to lose from going...it can't hurt to have that added knowledge.
I think one reason they didn't say alot about it is because alot of the treatment is confidential. They are not at liberty to speak about it except what you need to know. Once you get 'personal' with your counselor then things will start to make sense.

Wishing you peace and strength.