Notices

has anyone had a relationship end while in recovery?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I think it's important to keep in mind that long term abstinence necessarily involves going through the experience of grief and loss without chemical "assistance". I'm not saying this to minimize the hurt, simply to point out that negative experiences are part of life for all of us.

I've experienced several serious losses since I quit drinking including a divorce and the death of some close friends. Some of these occurred soon after I quit drinking and I thought I was never going to make it to the other side....but I did, and that taught me that I could do so again.

No matter what has happened, you can make it through too. And while losses don't get easier, I suspect you'll find that you begin to trust that you CAN survive.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Actually my wife devorced me after treatment because I wasn't "fun" anymore. Of course I wasn't fun as a drunk, just a drunk. Anyhoo, I've got a puppy that's nonjudgemental.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I told my wife that I quit drinking and the first thing she did was offer me a beer. I had to tell her several times that I was never going to buy another bottle of wine again. That did not make her happy. Whenever I take her out to dinner she makes sure that I buy her at least a couple of glasses. It's okay, I guess. It was a shock to realize that quitting drinking was not good for the relationship. One of the secondary reasons that I quit in the first place was to get a grip on the marriage. After two months she is starting to be proud of me. Except when she wants a glass of wine.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Philo, I'm with you there. I believe a relationship can be most of the problem, but not sure that it is in my case. Well it is, but I'm an alcoholic anyway, so I question my thoughts. Gaffo, I feel you. My husband was lamenting that he wanted to be a nice married couple that invited others over for cocktails and we'd have a bar in the house for people to hang around like at his sisters.