Notices

Nye

Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nye

I'll just get right to it. New Year's eve is coming up. I have ZERO friends that do not drink. I don't want to just stay home because that would just be too depressing. Not to mention the fact that I used to drink home alone all the time, so staying home alone is probably not a great idea. Where can I find some sober things to do on New Year's Even in NYC?
By the way, today is my 10th day sober!!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Go down to Times Square! I heard that there will be no alcohol allowed within the area around the ball drop. Biggest group of "sober" New Year's celebrants on the planet! Wish I lived there tonight. Talk a few of your friends into going too. Then they can see it is possible to have a great time sober, and so will you.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did the Times Square thing when I was younger. Not my thing. The crowds are unbearable and you aren't really doing anything other than standing around in the cold with these massive crowds of people waiting for the ball to drop. It's fun to do once, but I'm kind of over it now.
And there will definitely be drugs and alcohol. I grew up in NYC my whole life - trust me, there will be plenty of drinking going on.
But thank you for the suggestion!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm not sure if you're into AA or not but lots of groups in my area have meetings all day and late into the night. No drugs or alcohol there for sure.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

New York Inter-Group New Year’s Eve Alkathon, 10 P.M. until 9 A.M. Open discussion meetings will be held in English and Spanish @ New York Inter-Group Office, 307 7th Avenue, @ 27th & 28th Streets, Room 201, Manhattan, 10001. If you are interested in answering phones or chairing a meeting during the Alkathon, please call the New York Inter-Group office
at 212-647-1680.

Probably a dance there, so wear your bar clothes. Have fun.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Another AA event (in Brooklyn) - they're having food and 3 speakers:
:Events - New Years Eve / Meeting & Party

If you want to be around (sober) people and don't know of any, AA is your best bet. Or you can spend the evening here, helping us all stay sober! If you just want to get out, go to a bookstore - you can sit and read and get an expresso....

If you just want to do something special for yourself, get some carryout from a favorite restaurant and watch the ball drop at home.

The first time we do anything sober feels a little weird, but remember it's just a day like any other. This will be my 2nd NYE and it's no big deal this time around. I'll be glad just to be off the road.......

Great thread/topic, scarystuff!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

artsoul - thanks! This sounds good. I just might do that.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i'm a singer and i always have drank while performing. 3 days sober and i gotta play friday and saturday. wish me luck! i will stay sober!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck Gile4551!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found playing sober was scary Gile...but only until I hit the first note (bass player)
I play so much better sober - I know you will too

Hope you find something good to do out of those suggestions scarystuff

D
Old 12-28-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
scarystuff I like artsoul's bookstore idea. Also maybe local coffeeshops? We have one here in town that has live music and a very groovy vibe.

Gile4551 I know lots of sober musicians and a couple who are social drinkers but don't drink while performing. You will do great! Rock!

My kids and I will be enjoying sparkling apple juice in fancy glasses to ring in the New Year...if mom can make it to midnight!