Notices

day 2 again

Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2 again

I'm back. Has anyone felt that things get much worse in recovery before they get better? I just completed a two week program, made it through the holidays without alcohol and relapsed. This has been such an emotional time and I've never felt so low.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

During active using things always got worse ..... during recovery they got better. Always.

Using is not recovery and relapse is not part of recovery. It's part of using. I'm just saying.

I'm not trying to be a downer here .... just sharing my experience and not at all trying to put you down. I can relate harley.

Now it's time to move on from the relapse. May be another two week program? Something. Add something that you were missing before ... may be it's AA or may be something else. Just find what it is and add it.

Just don't keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks PD. I'm going back into another two week program - I'm waiting to hear when today. I don't ever want to start this cycle again. It's been a horrible year and I can't wait to have a positive outlook again. I need to know recovery is possible and things can get better.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me too.... Best wishes for the both of us :0)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

It is most certainly possible and that's coming from someone who felt like it wasn't for a long, long time. In fact I think most alcoholics have felt hopeless and ashamed and full of guilt at one point or another ..... I know tons of them who love themselves today.

Remember this feeling next time you consider a drink. You don't ever have to feel this way again.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks PD. that does sound encouraging. Reading the posts here help a lot. Congrats on Day2 sober4! Let's keep each other posted.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sorry you're feeling so bad, harleyq. You're still in withdrawal at day 2 and depression/anxiety are part of that.

Give yourself some credit for the steps you're taking (and have taken). It definitely gets better (wish I could show you how much!). Just remember that for now, it's enough to get through the next hour/day sober. Baby steps. You don't have to have it all together right away and that's OK!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good to hear you're doing another 2 week rehab. As they add up sometimes that helps to make things more clear to us.